Saturday, July 15, 2006

How Fucking Fitting

Oh my god, at a time I really need a laugh, a "sign", or anything positive.....

Anyone who's gotten to know me also knows by now that my good friend/next door neighbour died recently, right? Her place has been up for sale for some time now (they're asking about $70,000 too much for it) and my kids and I are very much aware of the fact that Joan will be an extremely hard act to follow. We were great friends who respected each other's privacy, space and lifestyles. Rarely (if ever) was there a problem between us. And, if and when there was, we'd "hash it out" and get over it.

Lately a lot of prospective buyers are looking at the place. And I cringe when I see them. It just magnifies the fact that she's gone and we'll soon have to start all over again, with someone new. That's not such a bad thing - but some of the people looking are starting to really piss me off and I know they won't "fit" here.

All the people in our complex get along extremely well, because we don't judge or bug each other. We're all really friendly and there's a wide range of ethnicities and ages and we have everything from the relatively poor (aka "me") to those fairly well off, this being their second home or an "investment". We all accept each other based on respect and nothing more.

Here's where the fun begins. This morning I needed "space" - a quiet corner on my deck to reflect and brace myself for some inevitable anxiety. Normally (when Joan was here), I'd go out there and have a nice spot to think, cry, or whatever. Today was different. I got out there and a whole lot of yelling from room to room, door slamming and window opening and closing was happening next door. It's the middle of a sunny afternoon so, I really can't complain. But, in this foul state of mind I'm in, today just wasn't the day for it. And there must've been 10 people crammed on the adjoining deck, all trying to get a (loud) word in edgewise - outyelling each other is how I can best describe it. Now understand, the people causing all the commotion don't LIVE here yet, you'd think they'd have some consideration for those of us who do. Not a good introduction really. My first impression of them was when I saw them this morning as I took out the garbage - they were congregated in my carport, eyeing up MY stuff and still jabbering, very LOUDLY. I felt like saying "get the fuck out", but I bit my tongue and went back in. I'm not a cranky old bitch (yes I am). Today, for sure I am.

I don't want busy bodies next door. I don't give a shit what they do and I'd like that to be mutual, if they are in fact to be the new neighbours. So, bad start with me. I did a (phoney) hello as I walked by, also trying to give them "the staredown", as my daughter's coined it.

So I had a solution that my son and I devised when we encountered this same situation last week. Another family (very large - the units are 2100 sq. ft., meaning they could accomodate "boarders" or extended family) had arrived to view the place, "peering" in through our windows as they entered next door. Again, oblivious to the fact that they weren't the only ones in the world and their loudness and nosiness was disturbing (this was in the morning and some of us were still sleeping). We turned on Nirvana's "School", pointed all the speakers towards the open windows and cranked it. You should've seen them - it was priceless. You could almost hear them say, "we're outta' here". I must confess, it was a hell of a lot of fun. Immature, but effective, to say the least. As I said, normal, respectful people wouldn't get this from us - these people we don't want around anyway. I'm sorry - I'm a very nice person but stay the hell out of my business. We need to set that straight, right from the "get go".

Today I nearly died, as a really appropriate song came on as I unleashed my music "bomb" once again, this time using the radio as my ammunition. It was BNL "Old Apartment" (which I love - how appropriate) and the part about wondering how the woman downstairs is doing and turning up the TV really loud and stomping on the floor "just for fun" - which was basically, exactly what I was doing. And the few times (not often), when Joan had morphed into a momentary bitchzilla early on in our relationship, my ex and I would play that song for her benefit. And laugh. So it brought back memories, as well as served a really great purpose. How fitting. We'd quickly managed to work out some "ground rules" with Joan after that - some being hers and others ours. I wonder if somehow it wasn't a message from her and she wasn't laughing somewhere, knowing exactly what I was doing here today. Suddenly my very bad, somber mood has lifted into a "lighter" one. Oh, how fitting, MG's "It's Been Awhile..." just came on (the radio). Which also totally takes me back to (good) memories of my ex (our music was Zepp - namely IV). It's gonna' be a good day after all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alana Elliott said...

"I'm not a cranky old bitch (yes I am)"

LOL!

BNL'S Old Apartment is a great song. Really, so is anything they do.

Good's It's Been Awhile...almost TOO good, I think. Love it.

Don't you love it when music can transform your mood? Glad you're feeling better today. :)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

44 means endless mood swings. oh no, wait...that's been happening since i was 3.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home