Monday, July 10, 2006

Thirty Two Bucks For Fruit??

The hot sunny weather means that noone in this house feels like eating much. Not that that's a bad thing - especially for me (who's trying to drop a few). My daughter, however, can't afford to lose weight - at 5'4" and 100 pounds or so, I get concerned when she's not eating...it's been five days of "I'm not hungry". So I went and stocked up on fruits and veggies, figuring that at least when she DOES decide to nibble on something, it'll be of quality and she'll get some nourishment out of it. I've also been buying the Safeway equivalent to "Boost" drinks.

Now, here's the problem. What happened to the good old days, when going to the market meant taking a ten? And then you'd get change back!! Done, those days are gone my friends. Dreaming. Put twenty bucks of gas in, then head to the local market and drop thirty more. That's what I did - and I didn't even get everything I needed. No lettuce. Onions. Just a few things to tide us over for the week. I don't mind - it's good local stuff and we're extremely lucky to have some of the best seasonal produce here in Richmond. Ladner (a small town just a hop, skip and jump away through the tunnel) still has a fair amount of "farming". Even my street has farmland at the south end (which is where I bike). Quite funny - the other end is total development, RAV line and high rises. It's like two totally different worlds. Back to fruit though.

I'm going to enjoy my fresh pineapple now. That WAS a steal - at $2.99 each I should've bought a whole room of 'em. Yum.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alana Elliott said...

Mmmmm, fresh pineapple. I had that on the weekend. Yum.

Just be glad you're not paying for organic fruits and vegetables, they taste amazing but they're INSANELY expensive!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home