Sunday, July 09, 2006

I'm Baaaaack!

Well so much for "relaxing". Tried, couldn't do it. Boss called me Friday, needing a "favor". Had to bath Mom (which neither she nor I enjoy much - just reality when someone's had a stroke). Drove my son to Surrey and my daughter all over Hell's half acre. And now that I have three blogs (just because each one facilitate's a different thing), I spend a lot of my "free" time there.

Did eat chocolate though - thanks Alana, for reminding me to do so! Then I biked (hard) to "work it off". I guess if I didn't eat so much chocolate I wouldn't have to work at it so hard. I used to be qualified as a fitness instructor - have let it "slide" a bit lately. Too many other things seem to take priority over "me" stuff. But I'm getting back to it, as I quickly realized that when music or fitness are "stripped" from my life, I get awfully cranky and something's just "missing" then.

I always love my rides - we have beautiful dyke trails here that go on forever. The fantastic scenery includes mountains, water, flowers, kites, and nature (including blue herons, sea lions, eagles, etc.). It never gets "old" to me. Every direction points to something spectacular - to the west, the "islands" and water; the north reveals planes taking off and landing at the airport, with magnificent mountains as their backdrop; the south is the mighty Fraser (my favorite) and beyond that Tsawwassen, more water and ferries departing and arriving at the terminal; the southeast has Mount Baker in all her magnitude and glory. The only little spot that doesn't offer much of anything is due East, which quickly fades into either mountains or water with a slight head turn. I can stay up there all day just to soak it all in. I love it - it's my "home" for sure.

I was born and raised in Steveston, right at the most western "edge" of Canada (discounting Vancouver Island, of course). A few steps and I'm on the west dyke I've described, facing out to nothing but islands, water and mountains - a spectacular place (I already said that, didn't I?). It's just everytime I'm there I think, "geez, I wish I had a camera and could SHOW people how gorgeous it is here". Then I stop and think, "na - it's my little secret...don't want people to flock here and ruin it" (which they already are - the little "kept" secret's been let out. It's quickly becoming a very sought after tourist destination and movie shoot location and is drastically changing - some for the better, some not). I know, selfish of me to want to "hog" it, but it's not worth spoiling with a congestion of people and traffic. When I'm there I sometimes feel it's "mine and mine alone". Kind of like I could erect a "No Trespassing" sign. The redneck in me wants to pull out my 12 gauge and say "git off my property". *Sighs*....guess I'll have to "share".

As I've stated on one of my blogs (not sure if it was this one), my bike rides on the dyke have really prompted me to buy a digital camera. I'd planned on getting it a few days ago, but this was delayed, as something always manages to "suck" the cash before I get to spend it. This time it was a mortgage payment (damn condo). But there is so much to "capture" here - from the contrast of farms and barns on one side of the street to bulldozers and development on the other. The many diffferent "faces" of this town. The fishing boats and wildlife. The places that are "heritage" sites (where my grandparents worked), intertwined with trendy new shops full of out of towners, all taking it in.

I'm leaving now to finally buy that new camera. I've already described (in one of my posts, entitled "Missed Photo Opps") how many times I've seen the perfect "shot" and cursed not having one. So count on these pics coming to you soon - I can hardly wait! Be back soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home