Thursday, June 29, 2006

Coincidentally.....

This is an example of Mom's enthusiasm towards Andre.

Last night she called at 10 or so, to tell me Andre was playing this morning. She knew I'd missed his last match (working) and wanted to ensue I didn't miss any more. We go back and forth, updating each other on Andre "news". She's my "go to" gal and, between the two of us, we rarely miss anything Agassi-related.

So she'd established with me that Andre was playing at 5 a.m. this morning. She asked if I wanted a "phone call" reminder, as we often do. I said no, that I'd probably tape it and watch it later (as it's my first day off in awhile).

So, here's how 5 a.m. this morning went:

My phone: "Ring, ring"
Me (groggy): "Hello?"
Mom (excitedly): "Hi, Andre's playing, he's just come out on the court"
Me: "I know Mom, remember our conversation last night?"
Mom: "Oh, yea. I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss him"
Me: "O.K. Mom, thanks. Talk to you later"

I turned on a tape to record the match and went back to sleep. I'd just drifted off when the phone rang again.

Me: "Hello?"
Mom: "Isn't he playing great?"
Me: "I don't know, I'm going to watch it later. Bye Mom"

This is not the first time this has happened. The last time was at 2 a.m. and was actually a repeat broadcast of a match I'd already seen. Mom just didn't know that. If she sees Andre's playing in the middle of the night, she adjusts her schedule accordingly.

I always think I'm Andre's biggest fan but, now that I think of it, my Mom takes the cake. Love her. Don't know what SHE'LL do once he retires......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home