Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Damien Rice

Damien was fantastic, everything we'd expected and more. He did most of our favorites (minus Insane/Grey Room) and they were beautiful. Personally, I missed Lisa Hannigan as she'd been a huge draw for me. But Damien still managed to pull it off alone and the songs they'd done together that he was now performing solo were still excellent. Just not the same, that's all.

We arrived to find that our seats kinda sucked and we were up pretty high, despite the fact that I was at Ticketbastards before they opened and had asked for the best seats available. But, by the time the clown had punched things in with his only working finger (and the urgency of a slug in long grass), the best seats had been snapped up. Plus, he'd advised me when I purchased them that I shouldn't take the best ones showing because they were in the bottom row balcony and there was a rail that obstructed the view. Maybe if we were midgets. Turns out that those were the best balcony seats and I'd foolishly listened to him and passed them up. He probably did it on purpose and was saving those for his aunts and cousins.

And so it was that we ended up in the second row balcony and our seats might've been o.k. if the two basketball players hadn't plunked themselves in front of us. Plus, the 19 year olds behind us were annoying as shit. One very immature guy directly behind Linds was obviously desperate for attention - LOUD & stupid. He never shut up and I think his chant of "RICE" before the show's start was the breaking point for me. Damn it, I didn't have my anthrax OR my bazooka on me. (Didn't I learn to "Be Prepared" somewhere? Yet, I was totally unprepared for "dude"). So, since maiming him was out of the question, moving was the only alternative.

Turns out Linds is a stickler for rules (didn't get that from me). It took a lot of prompting for me to convince her to ditch our seats in favor of some that didn't have fat heads and uncaged monkeys to contend with. We moved into some that were fairly decent, only to be moved as the "real" ticketholders arrived. We then moved over to some others and remained there for the night. Linds was a little disappointed, as a huge speaker blocked the view of some of the band. But we had a bird's eye view of Damien so I was good. I know we could've gone down to the floor and snagged some of the FRONT ROW seats that were empty (yes, they were...there should be a law against that). But Linds was too nervous and didn't want to keep moving around. (I'll have to teach her the fine art of jostling for position that I've perfected over the years. She has yet to accept that "rules" and morals go out the window at concerts. "Elbows out girl".)

So, back to the show. An entertaining little tidbit happened during a silent moment that followed a very moving, quiet song. All of a sudden a guy with a very booming voice yelled out "GO CANUCKS" and Damien obviously didn't hear it correctly and misinterpreted it. "What?" "Go nuts?"...and he proceeded to do so - a frantic little jig with some crazy arm/leg movements (that would've made Barb proud). He then realized that he'd heard it wrong and we proceeded to fill him in on what "Go Canucks" was all about. The interaction with the crowd was great - I love that in a show...it just makes it for me.

I didn't take many pictures....the flash nazis were out in full force and one actually came straight over when we did and told us to not take any more. I did get a snippet of video but it's not very good because I was so into the show that I didn't really care. But at one point a couple of girls yelled out "Damien, can we take your picture?", to which he orchestrated a brief photo op that resulted in the picture (above). It was dark (candle lit), so it turned out pretty grainy.

So, all in all, a great night. Linds was as impressed with the setting as anything...we wandered across the street to the library and she was blown away by it. We snapped a lot of pictures there, I'll post them later. But, for now, I have to get ready for work (blah) and then MY CANUCKS ARE ON!!! Woot. Looks like they read my letter and took it to heart.

Later cats.

14 Comments:

Blogger Gledwood said...

I like that picture ... what is it called? "The Sqweem?" ... sums up how I feel some of the time ...!

I didn't notice you mention Dave Pelzer in your profile. ...-==It is a RIVETTING read isn't it?
I WILL tell my story but I don't want to build it into a great huge thing because it's NOT. It's no more remarkable than a million other stories out there ...

... but still, IT'S MINE, so I will tell it!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Not sure gled, as I stole it from somewhere. The Sqweem would be a fitting title.

No worries about making a big deal about it...just curious, that's all. And yes, with all of his books I found I just couldn't put them down. Unbelievable how he even survived.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Sounds like a great concert, Deb! I'm a little like Linds in that I have never perfected the art of seat stealing, er moving, which is one reason I prefer a standing show.

Love the description of the little dance. That and good audience interaction always make for a great night. Grand review!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks Barb. I hate seeing empty (good) seats. So I'm helping all of humanity by moving into them. Aren't I?

7:22 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Glad you had such a good time. I hate sticking to one spot anywhere, but especially concerts :O) Looking forward to seeing those photos!

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i bet Deb's not a happy girl after tonights game

12:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was funny.

You ended up with a good view. My kids do that too; sneak way down to the front. And when we have good seats, they go to the edge and pass their tickets off to friends so the friends can come closer too. I'm usually more "honest".

He certainly doesn't look like I pictured him. That's a plus for him. Ha.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

mel...good, a fellow seat jumper. I just hate seeing good seats "wasted" by being empty.

kel...actually I'm not worried yet. I kind of excepted the Ducks to win this one - they're fresh and have a lot of jump and we're beaten down and tired. We'll see as the series goes on...but, all in all, I felt pretty good about the Canuck's performance (just not the penalties).

rob...Linds is with you on that. It was good to see that she didn't want to because it "isn't right" (her words). But then I corrupted her and dragged her along...me bad/child abuse.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

So you didn't like it so much when I cheered RICE like that, huh? Oh well. I promise not to do it next time. :)

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Hi I found this recommendation via a complicated chain of connexions that I can explain to you later but basically it is "one of the few quality Vancouver based blogs" I should tell him yours is the other one (but did he accept comments?) :: only had a short read through but it mentions the local sports team the Cougars ... sorry :: Canucks ... I feel a typo in the house sorry I honestly don't remember the real spelling. Hope you're OK. Take care
Gleds
xx

11:52 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Canucks:

wow! I got it right!!!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

OK here's how I found the recommendation :: http://Raymitheminx.blogspot.com
lead me to
http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2007/04/26/MatthewGood/
so you can read for yourself.
I've not seen a lot of that blog but thought you might really like it.
L8Rs
G

11:59 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Dan, you damn nineteen year old you!! You're lucky I left my bazooka on the stairs.

thanks gled....going to check it out now. ;)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Duh! How typical of me to recommend something and give 2 urls but not the one it actually IS.

http://www.miss604.com/

THAT is the Vancouver blog!!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home