Thursday, April 26, 2007

Mr. Postman


I've received three pieces of mail this week that have all been opened. The first was a promo from the horse track that was sealed and had five flaps which, when opened, could possibly reveal a prize. Not only was the seal broken (which, o.k., could have inadvertently happened somehow). But all five flaps were ripped open too!! "NOT A WINNER". I guess if it had been I never would have received it. I called Canada Post and eventually a supervisor called me back.

"I've spoken to the carrier and he says he didn't open it. If he has open mail his procedure is to put it in a special bag and
return it to the post office".

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what he'd tell you. But I'm not buying it.

I let it go, but it's happened two more times and I'm getting fairly pissed. One piece had both corners opened to expose the contents. And another was addressed to the ex...Ty discovered it and it was completely open. I'm reaching my breaking point. I wonder how many things I HAVEN'T received??!

Today was the back breaking straw. I'd ordered a gift for Linds online that was to be delivered yesterday (via airmail). It didn't come and today I was just getting ready to go out when the doorbell rang. By the time I got to the door, noone was there (I peeked through the peek hole). I was shuffling upstairs when it dawned on me that it may have been the parcel delivery...so I went to check the mail slot for a notification. Nothing.

Purely on a whim I opened the front door (which we rarely use) and there was a box, sitting in the rain. Now, understand here, our front door is mere steps away from the main drag in Richmond and not far from a heavily used bus stop. And there was a nice $300 package for the taking, left right out there in the open. I was livid. The postman didn't even stick around long enough for me to answer the bloody door.

I called Canada Post (someone with half a brain this time) and they confirmed that the package should never have been left out there as it was marked "DO NOT SAFE DROP" (which means someone has to physically accept it at the door or it should've been returned to the post office for pick up). Someone's got some 'splainin' to do.

I finally got the reassurance that this stuff will be followed up....only problem, the mailman obviously knows where I live and that's somewhat unnerving. We all know how THEY can react when agitated.

Got any mail horror stories? Or do they just pick on me?

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger MyDirtyLaundry said...

Wow, I'd be pretty damned upset too! Not to mention, feel totally violated. Your mailman's name wouldn't be Newman by chance?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

This is really minor compared to what you're going through but I sometimes paint postcards and send them to friends and family. Everytime I sent one from the post office closest to me they stamped it right in the middle of the painting. A freak error? I don't think so!

p.s. I think you need to give our team another pep talk!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

lala...my son's waiting for a cheque in the mail that's late & now we're starting to wonder. Could very well be his name.

tc...that must be frustrating! (And I may have to go down to the dressing room this time and let them know we can't take the pressure. In person.)

9:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I'd be pissed too.

I had a friend send me an express parcel from the US a few months ago and it was sent back to her because according to the post office, they had attempted three deliveries. However, they did not leave a delivery notice or any indication that they had been there, PLUS my friend had signed the waiver saying they COULD leave it on the doorstep.

But you are right to not want to piss them off too much. My sister in law yelled at the letter carrier and then her parcels started arriving mooshed.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Barb...we're at their mercy, aren't we? I might have to start mailing dog shit.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I've been in awe at the US postal service in that it delivers on Saturday. Canada Post is in my bad books for crap like this. I can understand your frustration fully.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I didn't know that Al...I remember for the longest time I never got mail on Mondays. I think my mailman needed to recover from the weekend and wouldn't show up.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Women on the Verge said...

Let's see.... checks that get lost... magazines out of their shrink wrap and missing pages...crushed boxes that are stamped "fragile"... I think it's the postal employees being passive/ aggressive...

E

8:12 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

E....yep, I think you've nailed it. They have serious, unresolved issues it seems.

8:15 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

I don't have any postal issues that I can think of at the moment, but I have forgotten to forward my address 5-10 business days before my move. Suckie! Now I have to keep checking with my old landlady to see if there is any mail for me there ARGH.

8:46 AM  
Blogger 668 aka neighbour of the beast said...

our posties are always leaving packages on our doorstep, even tho they are marked do not safe drop. they do however, try and shove them between the door and screen. our current postie draws happy faces on an envelope and writes a note when she does it.

considering my dog goes ape shit when they come, i'm pretty happy with our mail service.

when i lived in the uk, the mail service was awesome. letters usually got delivered the next day. the mail came twice a day.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

That type of thing happens all the time over here. In fact I've told friends and family NEVER to write to me at my home address. I get EVERYTHING sent c/o a friend where at least something resembling a greetings card won't be opened in a crack-frenzied cash-hunt ...

I once got a letter sent back to me ... well, half a letter ... because kids had set fire to the pillar box totally burning up all meaningful contents of my epistle ... but fortunately the corner of the envelope where I'd scrawled a returned address survived.

The London post is shite. In my old house we never got anything before 1pm. Imagine that. Living in the capital city and not getting mail until the afternoon. Also we used to get a 1st and 2nd post but now they only have one to save "person hours" ...

4:25 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Duh! How typical of me to recommend something and give 2 urls but not the one it actually IS.

http://www.miss604.com/

THAT is the Vancouver blog!!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

668 - they're actually supposed to leave it for p/u at the post office if it says Do Not Safe Drop. Mail twice a day would be nice...oh wait, maybe not (bills!).

gled...sounds like a fiasco! Oh yes, I've been to Miss 604's blog. She's hockey crazy too! Thanks for the heads up!

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home