Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Back To Work, Really?

I've enjoyed the long weekend and spending it on the go but I'm also finding it hard to shift gears back into doing something productive. I have laundry all over the place and my "to do" list (that I'm currently ignoring) is full of chores that I just don't feel like doing. Blah. My moods seem to really coincide with the weather and I only get things accomplished when the sun shines. Unfortunately, living in Vancouver means that that's not a good game plan. Sometimes it really sucks to be an adult, doesn't it? I just want to play.

One thing that I've been floating around in my little pea brain is what I'm going to do next...my job is likely done at the end of this year and it's time to start thinking about moving on soon. I have reason to believe that my boss is packing things in soon and will not be renewing her lease in the Fall/Winter. I've considered buying her out but really don't know if I want the pressure of owning my own business...it's something that my Dad would back me on, so I'm giving it some serious thought. But I've also started to look around to see what's out there in the way of employment and have recently run across a job posting that looks extremely interesting to me. I think it's a little out of my league but I've never let that stop me before. I applied (and was hired) for a job as an executive secretary when I was young and I really didn't think I had a snowball's chance in hell of getting the job at the time. Although my experience was limited, I could always sell myself with a no fear, go get 'em attitude back then. At the time, every job I'd applied for I'd got and I attribute it to the fact that my confidence level was through the roof...I think that came across in interviews. When I was interviewed for the position, my prospective boss said he liked my fresh perspective on things and felt that some of the other, more experienced applicants, were already set in their ways and wouldn't be as easy to work with so I got the position. It was an excellent job and if I hadn't tried, I would never have got it. I didn't overthink things back then like I do now...I just went with my gut and let things unfold with a "just do it" mindset. Ah, to be young.

Anyhow, I recently spent two hours filling in an online application and was at the homestretch and ready to send it when I accidentally deleted it!! I was frustrated, but took it as a sign that maybe it wasn't meant to be. But, as the deadline approaches, my horoscope has said (twice!) that I will be getting a new job and that I should "go for it". The horoscope in The Province newspaper is pretty much always bang on for me and, although I don't "refer" to it when making major life decisions, I can't ignore it. I sometimes look at it after the fact and it's strangely in line with what's happening in my life. I know, I know...the general topics that they cover are things that we ALL experience on a day to day basis and can be applied at any given time. But, for me, they're eerily reflective of what's going in my life and I just like to store the info for possible use in a rock, paper, horoscope kind of way.

I really still don't know what I want to be when I "grow up"....I've done a number of different jobs, most of them in an office environment. But I grew tired of that setting long ago and realized that I like to deal with the public and have ventured more in the direction of customer service (which is the position that I'm considering). I look at my kids and think of how lucky they are to have their whole lives, unmapped, in front of them. That they can pursue something that they're passionate about, which I never did when I was young. I just "went to work" at 16 and there was no turning back....I fell into "good" jobs from the get go, but it really wasn't what I wanted to do. Back then, my dream was to be a writer...poetry, in particular. Unfortunately, there wasn't a great demand for bad poetry at the time. Anyhow, although I'll be sad to leave my job (I love it), change is always good, right?

So are you doing what you love in life? If not, what would your dream job be?

5 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

First off, Deb, apply for that job!
If your gut (and your horoscope - ie substitute gut) are giving you that feels right signal, don't let it pass.

Yes, it would be enough to make you want to open your veins in a warm bath to accidentally delete something that took 2 hours to fill in, but you will always be saying "what if" if you don't give it a shot. You don't even have to accept it, if offered, but at least you are keeping the option available.

For the record, I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up either. And like you, am encouraging my offspring to do what she loves.

Good luck!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara Doduk said...

I think the days of spending a life time at a particular job are long over. We always are in a state of change in careers. As long as I am happy that is all that matters.

If you aren't happy with where you are... change it. Only you hold the power to direct the path of your life. So take that control and go for it. Make yourself happy.

(PS I saw Wide Mouth Mason last night, it was a fund raiser for a friend of mine Kevin. It rocked. I'll post pictures late tonight on my blog.)

3:39 PM  
Blogger TK Kerouac said...

I agree with the second Barb
the years of spending a lifetime at a job are over

So if you can't do what you dream
at least enjoy the people you are surrounded by

Back in my niave days
I wanted to be a teacher,shrink,writer
your dreams change too

7:36 AM  
Blogger TK Kerouac said...

oh I forgot

TK Kerouac's HNT

7:36 AM  
Blogger aka k said...

Been in same job type since I left school. Current job 20 years next month (mind you I do part own the business). Confess to feeling a tad jaded lately...can't always get enthusiastic.

Saw Seth Lakeman at The Parlure Spiegeltent, Brighton last night, Zucherro at Royal Albert Hall at weekend, very different but both excellent. What would we do without music?

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home