Monday, April 21, 2008













Deb's going crazy again...scattered, fragmented, ADD, can't focus, all over the map crazy again. No posts with any meaning. Nothing but bits & pieces.

So here's a song.

No, wait, there isn't a song here because YouTube won't allow me to embed it (a big up yours to YouTube). I did try my friends.

My kids introduced me to these guys some time ago (which is usually how it happens now). And oh, how I love them. The Black Keys that is. Well AND my kids (obviously). You should too. The Black Keys that is. I give up....anyways, you get the point! It's one of those days today.

Anyhow, go here and enjoy. (And, may I suggest that you check out other songs as well while you're there. Although this is my favorite at the moment, they really have some other great tunes. A Zeppelin meets Hendrix meets Ten Years After with a little White Stripes thrown in for good measure feel for me.)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Here's a bit about the boys, as stolen from someone else's blog (that's legal, right?). Anyhow, thanks to Nate's Triple Threat:

"This weeks spotlight is not on one great, underrated musician, but two, who call themselves The Black Keys. The name has a double meaning. The first is an inside joke - an artist friend would refer to them, and others that "just aren't right" as "black keys." The second refers to the black keys of a piano, which make up the pentatonic minor scale often used within blues songs. Both meanings fit the band perfectly as they're music is a bit different from the mainstream, but has a great raw blues foundation that makes them one of the best new bands in the last five years.

Dan Auerbach (left) and Patrick Carney went to the same high school in Akron, Ohio, although they ran in completely different crowds. They didn't get together until Dan booked time in Patrick's basement studio with his band. Nobody but Dan showed up, so the two decided to take the time to jam together and they found that their different backgrounds and styles melded together to create a sound they both loved. Dan grew up listening to blues music and learned to play to guitar with help from his uncle, a guitarist in a bluegrass band. Patrick also came from a musical family (his father Ralph played saxophone for Tom Waits), but is completely self taught on the drums. This gives a very unique and unconventional style to his drumming.

The two get to work and using Patrick's basement studio, record their first album The Big Come Up. By recording and engineering the album themselves, they're able to keep the grittiness of their music intact. This helps give momentum to the whole Lo-Fi movement that they quickly find themselves at the forefront of.

Stay tuned as The Black Keys show what hard work and perseverance can do to a music career."

11 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Yay new music! I've heard of these guys too but never taken the time to listen. I shall click that link now. Thanks for the link. :)

4:54 PM  
Blogger country mouse said...

I have youtube issues also . . .

And now I'm off to check these guys out : )

9:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love these guys.


Here's a link to them at WXRT:
http://www.93xrt.com/pages/1960368.php

They sure don't look like they sound, do they? Ha.

This is them on youtube doing one of my first favorites of their's, Your Touch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXlgISd3iA

I'm pretty sure they will be at Lollapalooza this summer...

3:11 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Al...I really like them. Hope you do too (although I never expect people to like the same music as me...it's very much "to each his own")

country...hey, how'r things? Yes, Youtube's been as much fun as a paper bag lately.

busterp...I'm going to check out your links. They were here not long ago but it was in a club so I didn't go (I didn't dare - Linds wouldn't allow it until she could come too!). I always knew you were cool. ;)

3:36 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Loved that video...

"at least I died doing what I loved....lip synching".

3:42 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

not bad, not bad at all

8:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

We've got a Black Keys cd at home - I find it quite bluesy. And I hear they have a new release as well.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No, you're too cool.

That's still a good bar song for me (your touch) when I'm out because no one (except Aimers and Clint) knows it.

You probably missed a good show. Liked your link, another great song.

I hear a little Jimi in them. Rock and roll. Have a fantastic week - I'm still busier than shit and only come by now and then till we get all PR returns and extensions out. Later...

8:41 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

"embedding disabled by request"

I hate people who choose to do that. Pretentious farts!!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Barbara Doduk said...

ooo thanks for the new band to check out. I am always up for checking out new music.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Hey, I was just wondering if you are watching the NHL playoffs. I am cheering for both Montreal and the Penguins. I will absolutely cry if Todd Bertuzzi ever gets his name on the cup, and I am not talking tears of joy.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home