Thursday, May 29, 2008

Yesterday Ty (with his totally sick & twisted sense of humor) said to me "Know who died?", then spit out some random name (I can't remember who he said) and when I went "oh no, really?" he said "nope, just kidding". He doesn't do boredom very well and this was one of his all time lows. Then our conversation continued in our usual, dysfunctional fashion as I followed up with something like "know who died?....Kurt Cobain". We're classless idiots by the way.

So when he called me today at work to say "did you hear who died?" my first reaction was a "yeah right, enough already" kind of response. But then he continued and I knew he wasn't joking.

Tragically, Luc Bourdon, of the Vancouver Canucks, died today around noon in a motorcycle accident. Apparently he lost control of his bike and hit a semi, dying instantly. He'd just learned how to ride and got his motorcycle last week.

Luc was the Canuck's first round pick in the 2005 entry draft....he was a solid, physical, two way defenceman and was earning a lot of respect in the NHL. He'd quickly become a favorite in this household and the "LUUUUUUUUC" chant was heard more than once around here (he wore Lindsay's #4 and then her other number, 28). He played for and won gold with the Canadian juniors in 2006 & 2007.

What a terribly, horrific thing. This talented young man had his whole life in front of him and it's an extremely sad day today. Hell, he helped make BFF out of Alana & I - although we started out arguing the seal hunt, we quickly found our common ground in the Manitoba Moose and guys like Luc. But hockey just doesn't seem important when a young life is snuffed out in the blink of an eye. Luc was 21 years old.

RIP Mr. Bourdon. You will be sadly missed and our heartfelt condolences go out to your family.

(Be careful Junky)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Whitenoise said...

Lost a highschool friend to a motorcyle accident a couple weeks before 911. As fun as they are, they're just too dangerous for regular transportation, IMO.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That is very tragic.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fall asleep to CBC Newsworld every night, I woke up to the "breaking news" today, it was hard to believe! Such a young (super talented) guy, so unfortunate. :(

Love you, by the way.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

whitenoise...my ex used at least 3 of his nine lives on a bike. They're so damned scary...to think, I was even considering getting one in the future. I don't know.

Barb...so much so.

Alana...I needed to see you...I need a big hockey girl hug right about now. Very sad...I keep looking at the pics I took of him back in Oct./06...he was one of my favorites - from the minute he joined us. I think I'll post them, even though they're not very good.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I agree, too dangerous for regular transportation.

So young.

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

**biggest hockey girl hug ever**

<3

(And I'm glad you posted those pics.)

2:06 PM  
Blogger junky said...

Yeah totally tragic (that is said without a bit of my usual sarcasm).
I've had 3 in the last 6 months, I should "knock wood". be good for awhile.
Especially since all 3 of my bikes are either in the shop or in Michigan....

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home