Monday, December 18, 2006

Lottery Scandal

You may have heard some stories lately regarding "scandals" that involve lottery workers. Now, as a lottery worker, this irks me to no end for a couple of reasons. Let me tell you why.

Number one - for those of us who are honest, it really makes it difficult as customers become suspicious and start questioning every little thing we do. I now spend half my day explaining how things work, how customers can protect themselves and how our booth is on the up and up and would never dream of ripping off people who have become our friends.

And the other thing that really gets me going is this - how stupid are these customers that they don't take precautions and cover their asses? Sorry, it's just so bloody simple and I have a hard time being sympathetic when I hear of someone handing over a ticket that could potentially be worth millions without batting an eye.

For those of you who play the lotteries, it's really quite simple. If you don't want to be "ripped off", follow these steps as a precautionary measure. And buy from a lottery center that is a reputable one - preferably getting to know those who sell you your dreams of retirement and financial bliss.

1) Sign your ticket. Pretty hard for someone else to claim it if it has your signature on it. I do it as soon as I buy mine. And, yes, I do buy them too. And, no, I don't "scam" because, if I did, would I really still be working here? Or buying tickets?

2) There is a long numerical code at the bottom of the ticket...memorize the last three numbers of this code and double check it against your receipt/validation. They should match. If not, jump over the counter and rough up the clerk until they give you YOUR ticket back, not a bogus one

3) Demand your receipt/validation slip. This is your right and the whole idea of printing these suckers is for your protection, not because we don't like trees. I automatically give people theirs when I pay them. Some people actually get angry at me when I do, stating "what do I want this for?". You can't have your winning ticket back once it's validated, but watch and ensure the clerk destroys it. Non winning tickets are returned with the validation slips. Or at least they should be. If yours is signed, then you know it's yours. If not, I suppose they could hand you back any old ticket and claim it wasn't a winner. Unless you follow the next step, which you should.

4) Only take your tickets to places that validate them in front of you, with the display screen visible to you. Don't let the dude behind the counter take your ticket away and then return to claim it wasn't a winner...you want to see him/her validate it for yourself. Also listen for "we're in the money"...it plays with every winner.

If you follow these simple steps, you'll have no problem. But please, don't keep asking me if things are "fixed". Or if the machines are "rigged". Do you really think anyone would answer "yes". I don't think I'd work for a place that was breaking the law.

When I ask questions of my own I'm stunned to learn of how people willingly hand over their tickets and let someone go off to check them out of view. Then they don't bother getting a receipt or their non winning tickets back. It just makes it too easy for those without consciences who are tempted by greed. Please people, protect yourself. And quit looking at me sideways, I'm starting to be offended by it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Toccata said...

It is frustrating and annoying when a few bad apples made an entire industry look bad. I'm a teacher and I hate it whenever the news is about some loser teacher absuing his position of trust.

I liked tip number two!

p.s. irks is one of my favorite words!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

2. too. And ditto with irk. Ha.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I had heard of these scamming allegations, but as I've never bought a lottery ticket, I didn't know the commonsense rules. So thanks for listing them.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

toccata...it IS frustrating when people who really know they can trust me still look a little sideways at me now.

"Irks" is a good word, isn't it? It just has annoys all over it.

Barb, these rules are otherwise known as common sense and some people just aren't using theirs. This gives a window of opportunity for the (very few) cheaters.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very good advice and you have a right to be irked

4:57 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

We've heared an awful lot about this lately on the news, and we keep yelling the same thing at the TV. Something about people being ridiculous, not takin precautions. DUUUUH hehe

5:38 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Clearly I haven't been paying attention to the news, this was the first I'd heard about this. I can understand your frustration, you outlined some good points though!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home