Monday, January 22, 2007

Welcome Back...Was I Gone?

I had the greatest day at work today. So good, in fact, that I closed up half an hour early when things slowed down in the last hour. Anyhow, at least five people at one time were at my booth saying, "wow, we've missed you, where have you been?". And being missed is always nice. Only thing...I haven't been away?? I have changed a few shifts around to accomodate hospital visits and apparently people noticed. It felt really good to just be light and shoot the shit with fun people. And the guy who's been hitting on me DIDN'T show up today (thank God)....first time in a week. Ms. Nice here just doesn't know how to say no and I was hoping if I avoided the subject he'd go away. He's a sweetheart - a very nice looking young Fijiian guy who seems really lonely here. He comes in every day and we chat for half an hour or so. He bought me a bottle of wine for Christmas and has been relentlessly trying to get me to go for coffee and, initially I said yes, but then regretted it. Honestly, I don't know how to say no - the people pleaser in me doesn't want to hurt his feelings. But I just know it's not there and I don't have a lot of time to waste on coffee dates right now. I've been on my own for some time and the only thing that will work for me is someone I really know I connect with. I could go as a friend, which was my original intention. But it's obvious his plan is much different than that and I don't want to lead him on. So I lie. I think lies that are meant to save someone's feelings from being hurt are o.k.....what do you think?

An old friend came by to catch up and we had a hoot - we acted very immature and pretended we were our kids and did some lol, wtf stuff for effect. Her son and my daughter were dating awhile ago and now are best friends. They're starting to "stray" a little (they are 15) and we exchanged the goods on what's going down with them. We always let them know we're doing that...nothing sneaky - it's all on the up and up. And they don't even seem to mind. We keep it light and are really connected with them and they haven't totally shut us out yet. I'm sure it's coming. Neither of them will go to school at the moment so we're swapping notes on our techniques to get them there. Dragging them by the hair didn't work. Maybe bribery.

Dad showed up and is just a sweetheart and brought me stuff and just "checked in" with me. I don't seem to see him much now that the focus is entirely on Mom.

It just felt really good today. I think I needed the boost and I felt very appreciated. Even the other shopowners came by and said "hey, it's good to see you" like I'd been away (I haven't???).

I feel energized and ready to go for my nightly trip to palliative. Hope your day was o.k. Back later maybe.

Oh, I almost forgot, it's confirmed. Here's my horoscope from today's local paper:Explains everything.

(Today IS a good day. When I just posted that picture I fixed something in my image browser that had been a finicky little glitch bothering me for weeks and now I'm not only popular but I'm a genius. What a day. I'm on a roll.)

7 Comments:

Blogger junky said...

It's nice to feel missed and realize how much you effect other peoples lives.
I work with 6 other guys, all workaholics, that hate vacations, and we very rarely get to see a new face.
In short I don't get much of a chance to be missed.
Yeah, yeah I know poor me...

7:58 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hey junky. How are you feeling? Hope you're alright.

I'm a bit of a workaholic myself - not long ago held down three jobs at once. That didn't last long. Money was nice though.

Well, tell you what...I'd miss you if you didn't show up here to comment. So consider yourself missable. :)

8:45 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

If people miss you when you're only working a different shift, you KNOW you are making an impact on them! Well done, fellow Libran!

9:06 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

It is nice to be missed! I have more to say about this post later, but now, dev is kicking me off the computer (waaah) Talk to you soon!

9:09 PM  
Blogger junky said...

I feel like someone is taking swings at my lower back with a baseball bat. other than that I'm good :)
I may be "missed" from work tomorrow, I haven't quite decided.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

You've always said how much you enjoy where you work because of the people that come in. Well, clearly the feeling is mutual. Obviously you make a big difference in their lives. You're one of the special ones Deb.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

It was quite uplifting Barb. Yes, we Librans, working our magic ;)

Mel....fight him off with a newspaper. Tell him to go play guitar or something.

junky...you crack me up.

toccata...thanks. I think you're pretty special yourself.

Come to think of it, I notice when they don't show too. A woman dying of cancer (lungs, both breasts, brain, liver) hadn't been around since before Christmas and she showed up the other day. I was so relieved. And she's got two months reprieve from doctors/treatments so she's thrilled about that.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home