Friday, January 19, 2007

And After All, We're Only Ordinary Men

Well folks, I've "leveled off" some and, in this quiet moment, I think I need to post here. I hadn't seen Mom in two days because I've been getting sick and didn't want to pass it around the palliative ward. But Dad informed me that her meds have been changed and she's really doing much better now (thank God). She even managed to play a few hands of poker yesterday, beating Dad (and, although he claims he let her win, I somehow doubt that). And so the rollercoaster ride goes.

I snuck in to see her tonight and she was sleeping very peacefully. I sat and watched some of the Australian Open in her room and missed her more than words can say. I know she's still here, it's just so different now. We always called each other continually throughout major tennis tournaments, even if they were being played at 3 a.m. I recall one of those calls very vividly - I posted about it early on here. We're huge fans (although, with Andre out of the mix, not quite as passionately as we were before). When I was visiting with her the other day, before all hell broke loose, she recognized Andy Roddick. I was thrilled about that. So tonight I sat there in the dark with the TV muted watching mostly her, as she slept. Then I started having coughing fits and left before I woke her up.

Anyhow on to why I now have to post about music. Yes, I know I said I wouldn't, but I'm a total flake right now and you really shouldn't believe much of what I say at the moment.....I'm anything but reliable right now. And, when Linds came down and told me the Much Music's Top Ten British artists list tonight I felt the need to post/vent. Now, I don't know about you but, for me, there was a band that made me Comfortably Numb and sometimes took me to The Dark Side of the Moon. Not just Another Brick in the Wall, this band....they're pretty significant and somehow were left off the list. That pissed me off.


Now, perhaps they had the same trouble that I have with "Top Ten" lists and struggled with whittling it down. Ten is hard, especially when it comes to music. Fifty is hard for that matter. But, come on, Pink Floyd should've made it. Tell me what you think...here's what they came up with:

10. Led Zeppelin (should be #2)
9. The Police
8. David Bowie
7. The Who (should be nearer to the top)
6. The Clash (before Zeppelin...no way)
5. The Smiths (????????? - sorry Barb, I don't even know these guys)
4. Elton John
3. The Sex Pistols (again, before Zeppelin????)
2. The Rolling Stones (I guess they've earned this, burning up those Steel Wheels on Their Wheelchair Tour)
1. The Beatles (well, at least they got this right)

Any changes you'd make?

7 Comments:

Blogger junky said...

I think Underworld deserves a spot, I'd kick the police out for them, and the Smiths should be axed for Floyd.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think Floyd should be in it. I picture myself as a big Stones fan, but I look at old albums I've bought and quite alot were Pink Floyd. Also since I recently blogged about them and got a new found appreciation for them is The Jam. I like more of their music than I realized.

Good luck with the your parents.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And then I thought of two I've always liked though older, Joe Jackson and Squeeze.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Oh, Deb you need to try out The Smiths sometime. Now, having said that I'm a little surprised by the Pink Floyd shut out. They're kind of an institution if nothing else. Oops, I just read Buster's comments and I'd nix The Sex Pistols for Joe Jackson. Sex Pistols ... don't get them!

Hey, your mom and my mom are mutual Andre fans. My mom thinks tennis is just no longer the same without him. Take care Deb.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Rob....I recall your Pink Floyd post. And after reading it one night the PBS had the Pink Floyd concert on!

Joe Jackson...forgot about him. I don't remember The Squeeze much...hhhmm.

O.K. toccata...I promise to learn about the Smiths. As someone who's always loved music, I can't understand my not knowing them. That shall change.

We LOVE Andre and have been fans since he first stepped on the court with his bleached mullet and his hot pink spandex. I concur with your Mom...it just isn't the same now. I guess Federer's growing on me and I'm a fan of Roddick and Blake now.

I have some great clips in my archives, right at the beginning. There's a YouTube commercial that you might enjoy.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Ooops, correction. That clip's no longer good. But I did a real long post on his retirement and it's got the cutest picture of Andre as a little boy.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh, sorry junky! How the hell did I miss ya? I don't know Underworld...apparently I've been living under a rock and a lot has passed me by. But now I have to check them out for sure.

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home