Saturday, January 13, 2007

A Happy Ending

I'm sure you've already heard of this breaking news story by now, but I just wanted to spread some good news here (considering the fact that it's been mostly bad news around here lately). This boy (shown here with his mother, courtesy of AP) is one lucky camper. Can you imagine a mother's joy in learning that, after four years, your missing son's been found? My God, it just doesn't get any better than that. You can read the entire story here. It makes me think (as I often do) of Michael Dunahee, who went missing several years ago here in BC. He never was found but many suspect he's still alive somewhere. I remember it really hitting me at the time...Ty was about the same age and Michael was a gorgeous little blonde haired boy just out having fun.


(Picture of Michael when he went missing and an age enhanced one, showing how he may look now)

I honestly don't know how parents survive something like that.

I'm sure that this must give hope to parents of other missing children that they, too, will be found one day. And it reminds us that we should all be aware of what's going on around us and get involved - these boys were found because of a vehicle description. If something seems fishy, take notes. You could be helping someone more than you could ever possibly imagine. Just keep that in mind.

4 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That's a really good point, Deb, to be aware of what is going on around you all the time and to ask questions if things don't seem quite right.

Unbelievably happy ending to that story though!

9:20 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

I saw this story on the news this morning. Amazing! I bet that kid wont be let out of her site for weeks!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

It's funny Barbara...I'm a bit of a "busy body", but that can come in handy at times. Apparently it was a kid on a bus who got a description of the van that was last seen with the kid. Amazing that something like that eventually lead them to the kids.

I bet you're right Mel...that poor teen will probably be smothered. Can't blame her. I'd have a tracking device on order!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Toccata said...

I hope those boys will be ok and I hope the media will leave them alone.

We had a boy that went missing in Moose Jaw from the Natatorium which was the local swimming pool. I just happened to be home visiting my parents and joined in the search. Partway through the search they had us go back to the manning station and we were told he had been found alive. We couldn't believe it. Turned out he had been kidnapped and taken by a man who sped all the way to Ontario and was simply caught at a random police check. The man ran the checkpoint and a search ensued. The man crashed into the ditch and when the police surrounded the car, they found the missing boy. I guess the police were completely stunned when he said who he was.

A couple of days later I was outside and a neighbour boy from across the street was just heading out and his mom yelled to him to make sure he called as soon as he got there. He was going to his friends house 4 doors away! He just rolled his eyes at me and said, "She's driving me crazy." I think it's so hard to know what the level of security you give. Kids have to be allowed to grow up free.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home