Friday, January 12, 2007

Deep Freeze

Quick Update: I haven't been posting because, quite frankly, I'm frozen. It's minus 108 today. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating but, to us out here on the west coast, it may as well be. We're wusses. We don't do cold.

Mom's situation is worse than we thought...a visit to the cancer clinic yesterday revealed that her tumor is growing (significantly) and that they can't do anything for her because it will likely cause another "bleed" in her brain, which she wouldn't be able to tolerate. So we do nothing. We wait and watch and that's painful to do. The only consolation to date...she's not in any pain and that's a biggie. The fellow in her room with lung cancer (who still joins us outside for a smoke) IS in pain and struggling for every breath. And that's heartwrenching to listen to.

On a positive note, we're going to try and get Tenacious D tickets today - Ty and a friend got theirs yesterday during the internet pre-sale. Linds and I missed out but will try and get some today. I love Jack & Kyle...they make me laugh. And, these days, that's priceless to me. Hope you're all well. I'll post more when I thaw out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Deb, I'm so sorry that things are not improving for your mom. That must be so very hard for all of you.
I do hope that her accomodations have improved from when she first moved there, and that you can spend as much good time with her as you can.

But good luck getting the tickets! I haven't really heard their music, but I think it would be worth it just to see Jack Black. Fingers crossed!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Oh Deb, I sure wish you weren't having to go through this. I'm glad at least your mom is not in pain. Small consolation I know but one you might have to keep in mind as you wait and watch.

Good luck with the roads today and good luck snagging those tickets. I don't know their music either but I think Jack Black is hilarious. I read a review of The Holiday and they said Jack Black was miscast as a romantic leading man. I thought, "Are you kidding me? He's so adorable!" That reviewer was dead wrong on that score.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hi guys. Thanks (again) for the kind words. Not much to be said re Mom....no easy way here. I'm managing o.k. - it's a "comes in waves" thing. One hit me last night when Wheel Of Fortune came on...she loves (loved) that show and thought I was a genius because I could get quite a few of the puzzles without any letters. Easy when you're at home....

Anyhow....on a positive note - we got the tickets. Linds is thrilled and I must admit I need something to get me out with my kids and having some fun. The music is pretty good - but I absolutely love the antics and that's what I'm looking forward to most. I guess the music is just a bonus. Should be good medicine anyhow.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Deb. All I can say is I'm thinking of you and your mom from far away. The memories are truly a good thing.

Enjoy the show and I hope you can see my videos someday. Nite.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Hey, awesome. I'm glad you able to snag those tickets! Hope you and Linds have a blast.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks Rob. I'm focusing on the positive and right now Mom's comfortable and that's what matters. All I can do, right?

The show should be a well needed get away from it all...the kids deserve some quality time, where I'm not running in, changing and running back out. Even though they're not "kids" anymore, we still really enjoy each other's company so I'm looking forward to a night out with them....(and Ty's friend, Steve - now that's a whole other ball game. Quite a character, he is).

Thanks toccata...Linds is really excited. Jack Black's her absolute favorite. And, I must say, I like him too!

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home