Friday, December 29, 2006

Guitar Heroes

It's been awhile since the kids had a video game that tweaked my interest. As a matter of fact, the only ones that I can think of that I ever played on a regular basis were Mario Cart, Dr. Mario and Pokemon Snap (yes, Pokemon. But it was a very fun game where you were a photographer and had to shoot pics of the characters, then develop them to see how good they were. It was fun, o.k.?!).

I bought Ty Guitar Hero II for Christmas...I'd never heard of it and it was just something he'd expressed interest in. Well I'll be damned if it isn't about the funnest game I've ever played. We liked it so much that we went out yesterday and got the first edition so we can rock out together.

I've always dreamed of playing guitar...when I was young I got Mom & Dad to send me for lessons and I quit because my teacher wouldn't teach me from the Led Zeppelin complete songbook I'd purchased for the deal. It was Stairway to Heaven or bust, baby. I guess I'd never heard of baby steps and was a little too ambitious there. (I still have that songbook - just can't play a damn thing from it).

My new "handle" is Wolfmother. I've almost mastered "Woman", in its' entirety, and I feel like a bloody rock star...I even throw in a couple of side kicks, for good measure. The kids find me hilarious, especially when I first started out - I completely sucked and when you miss a note/chord, rather than hear the guitar, it makes a blooper type sound that keeps in time with the music.

The kids are really good...both of them own guitars and can actually play, so I'm always the "loser". But somewhere deep down the inner rock star in me is now fulfilled, even if it is in my own living room.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you were lucky...as a child i got sent for....gasp..accordian lessons...after a year i was able to quit...was a long year of lugging an accordian on a bus to those lessons.....hmmm that may explain a few things

9:10 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That sounds like a pile o' fun! How hilarious that you are Wolfmother. Are you going to let your hair get all big and Sideshow Bob so that you can look the part, in addition to the scissor kicks? Rock on WM!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

kelly....I played accordian for 5 minutes too!! I had a cousin who was actually pretty good. Our family LOVED the accordian.

Good idea Barb...I think I'm halfway there with the hair thing already. We are having a pile of fun...long overdue!

12:06 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Heeheee! that sounds like so much fun!!!!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

That video game sounds like so much fun!

Kelly can bring his accordian, Mel her drum, Barbara her spoons, Deb the guitar and I'll bring my flute. Hey, instant band!! Oh, and to change things up a bit I'm sure I have a recorder buried in a box somewhere.

Did you guys have to learn recorder in grade 3? Our poor classroom teacher lasted for about 2 weeks. I think we got as far as Hot Cross Buns.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey WolfMother. I saw you at Lollapalooza this summer. (a band name of course - a real one) Nice pictures. Capture the moment. Have a nice New Year. Cheers. Oh by the way, recorders are cool.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Oh, I have the feeling Busterp may have his own recorder hidden somewhere. If not I'll lend him mine so he too can join the band. Now we just need a manager!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

It IS fun Mel...too much fun, as a matter of fact. I can see a lot of chores being neglected in favor of rocking it down. Oh well, they'll wait for me.

I still have my recorder toccata...I never part with anything musical. Hhhhm, I think maybe Allison or Alana would be a good manager. But Alana's way too busy with work, so Allison it is! O.K., we're set. Who's got the tour bus?

Happy New Year to you too, Rob. Oh, that reminds me...I have to skip over to your blog now and see if you have any pictures up.

11:40 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Oh chores ppppoooooohey! They can wait til 2007 ;) heehee
Oh yes, lemme grab my drum and I will be right over! :)

1:50 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

O.K., we're set. What shall we call ourselves? Ideas?

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home