Monday, February 26, 2007


Hey friends! Well it's Monday morning and, although I'd like to have a sick day today (still not too good), it's not an option where I work. Actually it's pretty ridiculous - I run this damn lottery booth that is independently owned by someone else. She's making a KILLING from it - I was just informed by the tech's that came last week that it's one of the busiest booths around (I can attest to that). She gets all kinds of perks (including Canucks booths on occassion) and shares NONE of it with the other girl and I. The whole family just returned from a two week Mexican vacation. She leaves for England in March. We bust our tails in there and, quite honestly, half the customers can't stand her and say it's only because of us that they come at all. FTR, the other girl I work with is a sweetheart and she and I get along very well. But it's times like this that I think why the hell do I have all this responsibility and not reap some of the rewards? I've never missed a day yet/been late. I put in OT (weekends) with no extra pay. As I've said earlier, the tips can be really good (she even tried to hone in on those at one point). But I'm sitting here this morning, after minimal sleep and having some "complications" that I deal with Thursday and I'm thinking, "boy, I'd like to call in sick". And I'd be totally justified. But I know I can't - noone to cover me. I think it's time to talk about a raise.

And, when I initially started this job it was my third at the time...I gave up the other other two when Dad, then Mom got sick and it's now my only source of employment. But I am starting to test the waters elsewhere. I have a hell of a lot of experience and know I could be somewhere better - but, honestly, it's my customers/the atmosphere I'd miss. Many of them are elderly/new to the country and it's so rewarding to know I make a difference in their day. They tell me they've missed me when I've been gone.

One other thing eating at me - no breaks. We work our shifts straight through - there's not even a toilet to use unless we close up shop and go to the sushi bar, which she looks down on. We handle people's filthy money all day and there's no place to wash...we have antibacterial hand cleaner (that's not too great if used on a regular basis). Kind of ridiculous in this day and age. And to think, my ex heads a union that fights for this kind of shit. He's constantly telling me that we're under appreciated there and should be treated better. Today I just don't feel like it - but off I go. Wish me luck.

Bitch, followed by a whine. What can I say, I'm on a roll.

6 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

I hope you start to feel a little better today Deb. My Mom has the same situation with her work, no one to cover, thus she never can take time off. Ever. Makes me furious.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks Allison. I'm feeling rather sorry for myself today because I still can't top coughing...it's a real deep, rattling cough (which I've apparently managed to share with everyone else in the house, who are now all sick as well).

It's a bad situation, to have noone to cover. Initially the woman who owned the booth worked in the booth and was available to cover. But she's backed away and when she has to cover a shift it's not pretty - usually it's just swapped with a day off (and I have Dr.'s appts. booked for those). So it's a lose/lose situation. Your Mom too eh?...sucks.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Frick'n thing. I lost my comments. Damn.

Deb, get well.

Don't drink too much coffee at work.

You boss obviously doesn't read you blog? Ha.

Have a nice week.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

your

11:33 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I can understand that it would be somewhat difficult to set up a system at a booth which would allow the employees to take breaks, but isn't that a law that you are entitled to a certain length of break after a certain number of hours work? So I would not feel any remorse about closing up when you need to use the facilites or even taking a lunch break.
I don't take a lunch break either, but that is my own choice and that makes all the difference in the world. And I can pee whenever I like.
Hope you start feeling better and be careful handling that money. Antibacterial hand cleaner has absolutely no effect on viruses btw.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

hey Rob...I've had NO coffee for four days. That's a first for me. I'm switching mostly to green tea. We'll see what that does.

Barb...my mum in law keeps telling me that. I just try not to rock the boat but I'm sure if I pushed things, we could have some breaks.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home