Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The hospice was an adventure tonight. Some of the patients were unruly "restless" and it was chaos for poor Pam. My God, that woman's incredible. I met her years ago when she was a teacher's aide and cared for a young autistic boy in Ty's kindergarten class. I thought she was a flake back then...still do. But she's also a damn pro at her job and I feel so much more relaxed when I know she's the one caring for Mom. Mom loves her and thinks she's family. She is as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to make sure that she's rewarded for her efforts....something nice. She just gets right in there and takes charge - no hesitation or uncertainty. Tonight one of the patients pulled out all of his needles as she tried to put them in. And all of his IV's. While this was happening, another woman (who buzzes all night every night) started her evening routine. Then a fellow decided he needed oxygen...NOW! And they don't have it there. Yet she took it all in stride, wasn't frazzled at all. I'm in awe. I've volunteered to answer the phones while I'm there. Everyone entering the facility has to buzz in and she's running herself ragged and needs to be able to focus on the patients.

So there was a lovely huge pile of puke right outside my car door and of course I stepped in it. Beautiful. Well at least it killed my appetite. I'll bet something's going around there...we've all felt queasy.

Ty laughed when I spoke to him today because poker is not enjoyable right now and I told him I was quitting. Bad beat central and playing with "aways" just doesn't make for a fun game. But I decided to sneak one more tourney in before I packed it in and I played really aggressively. I was tired of being beat by 7 2 hands. And so this is how things unfolded at the end.....




Yea me! Now I love poker again and I'm not quitting. Which is why Ty laughed...he knew I wouldn't. I keep winning my way into the (bigger) money games but the two that I've played in so far I've had terrible luck/hands in. It's frustrating...I get down to the nitty gritty then lose with pocket aces. That's what happened in the last one.....I played very patiently and then was beat by the stupidest hand ever. Oh well, such is life...it's called poker, right? I think if you win eight stages you get to the real big money. I've made my way up to stage 5. I'm bound and determined.....

(These are two of my poker idols)



But I think Kathy Liebert is my all time favorite...cool as ice she is. Can take down an entire room full of men. And there's something very cool about that to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Toccata said...

Ew to the stepping in puke.

It's good to hear your mom has someone like Pam around. I'm constantly amazed by people who can do this kind of work. Maybe you need to be a bit flakey in order to survive what you must see and deal with everyday. I really hope your mom gets to stay where she is right now as it sounds like it's a good place for her. Take care Deb.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

thanks tc...you're right on both counts - the "ew" and the "have to be a bit flakey".

Rob - I'd try! It's in my blood...come from a long line of poker players. But I've just taken to it in the last little while. Thanks.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Hi I've heard hospices are nothing like you'd expect. (ie don't look like a hospital.) More like a home. We had a charity shop for the local one. It is one cause I believe in. There comes a time when medically you should just let people be and give "palliative care". Well that's my opinion... I was going to say something else... POKER. Aren't you lucky 2b living on the Vancouver side. Wouldn't it be illegal if you were 50 miles south?? I keep getting a massive pop-up for 888. Never played online. Only ever played for matches. Only betting I've ever won at is horses. Dogs I never IN MY LIFE won at. Horses I've scored at 25/1 (hunch). Paid off. But I bet like a girl using intuition. Wouldn't waste my time studying form 2b honest. OK Debs hope things ok 2day. C ya later.

Gleds

6:44 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Gled...true - can't play for $$ now if you're in the US. I love the horse races - they're almost ready to get going here again. I often bet the longshots and don't study the forms either. Payoffs are fun.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home