Saturday, February 10, 2007

Today's ride was a bit challenging...flat tire going against the strong wind = resistance. Good workout though...I'm beat. Then I returned home to learn I had to go right back out and p/u Linds...I dropped her off at the Winterfest party, where they closed the streets and had free skating, fireworks, and other activities to hype 2010. I expected a "low key" event, not the 20,000 that showed up (helicopters overhead, covering the event...c'mon, for chrissake we're just not that important here in Richmond). L went to the Hedley show, pushed her way up front and danced like a monkey. Although I'd noted the event in the paper, I'd forgotten all about it and it was all very impromptu...we just sort of stumbled upon it.

Damn it, the Canucks were up 3-0 when I left the hospice and I don't even know if we won...I missed the end. I imagine we did...we were on fire tonight.

I'm so tired...here are some pics from today...it's all my lazy ass has to offer.




My Grandma worked here, just beyond those big white doors. She sat on a little wooden stool, mending fishermen's nets.
Dad lives at the very end of this street (see the house at the end with the big windows?...his is next door, on the left). I grew up here. My Grandma/Grandpa's house was on the corner, by the street sign.
When my brother was an idiot, he was dared to jump in the river, swim to this island (Shady Island) and climb the little lighthouse. Which he did. Stinking drunk. The river almost got him a few times. Mom too (although she was not drunk - she was learning to swim/float on her back)...at this very spot. Someone jumped in off the dock and saved her. It looks easy enough...looks can be deceiving. Wicked current.



Don't think it's supposed to look like this??



4 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

hahaha Kelly!!

Actually for someone who just did a big bike ride on a flat tire, it is impressive to see all those photos. My lazy ass never remembers to bring a camera. I especially like the 4th pic, the way the light hits the water and silhouettes the people on the dock.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

kelly...nice, yes it is!

Barb...I take my camera everywhere. I just haven't mastered how to use it properly...I'm still learning. Can' go wrong with the scenery here.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Those are amazing photos Debs. What you said about current was just what I was thinking... it's a killer. Did you hear about the man swimming the entire length of the Maldives archepelago? As well as saying he'd have to beware of unknown currents, he said the water was too HOT for him, being up to 33 degrees C. Said it's like swimming in treakle and cold water's much easier. And an average indoor pool is aparently around 27 C which is the temperature I used for my tropical fish ... o I'm getting off the point here. The fotos are really atmospheric Deb. I feel all Canadian from looking at them.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Is it seriously 4:19??? Wow, it's past midnight here ...

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home