Monday, February 26, 2007

In Tribute to the Oscars (thought I should write something really meaningful)

Oh, and what am I wearing? Reitman's, with a $2.41 Bluenotes tee that someone thinks I paid $2 too much for. And I may have to agree with that.

ME AND SANDWICHES (A LOVE STORY)

When I watched Big Brother and they were subjected to nothing but PBJ's for food, I didn't see a problem with that. I could live with that, easily. And if you threw in a variety on the "J's", hey, rock on. Life would be good.

This is what I felt like/had today:My very excellent seeded wholegrain bread (the bomb) with tomatoes, pepper, Fleischmans and no fat mayo. And this got me thinking about one of my favorite foods in the whole world - the sandwich.

These are some of my favorites:

-Peanut butter, banana, raisins and honey. I've died and gone to heaven. I invented this, but you can steal it.

-A cucumber variation on my tomato masterpiece (but I don't like them mixed - have to be alone). But onion can make an appearance here. If it behaves.

-Cheddar cheese and HP sauce. Now this one sounds weird, I know. My ex used to eat them because there wasn't much in his fridge. And I'd make comments like "that's the nastiest fucking thing I've ever seen". But then one day, when he wasn't looking, I decided to try one. And now I'm hooked. Don't tell him. He mustn't win.

-Salmon "salad"....has to have celery, onion, lettuce and lots of pepper/no fat mayo. And ONLY wild salmon - don't eat that farmed shit.

All very simple/basic. I don't like complicated. I'm weaning myself off meat and pretty much hate it most of the time now. So my recipes are not very complex here...we're talking one, maybe two ingredients. So why even a post for chrissake? Because it's Monday.

So, what are your favorites?

(And I'll accept my award for this little masterpiece later, when I finish dancing to CAKE.)

Oh, and it's snowing everywhere but here today. Even Surrey. But the sun's out here because someone loves me and wants me to dance in the window for the rest of the afternoon.

17 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That tomato sandwich looks GUUUD!

It's all about the bread, isn't it, except if you are in southwestern Ontario during tomato season. Oh my good day, I still have dreams about the tomatoes we used to harvest from our own plants - one slice of tomato would cover the entire piece of bread and it was the sweetest juiciest thing in existence.

Did I mention I like toasted tomato sandwiches?

Another one that cannot be beat is fresh homemade bread cut about an inch thick, toasted, slathered with butter (not margarine yuck) and honey. Serve with a big glass of milk.

And I don't normally care for honey.

Damn now I'm hungry - look what you did!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Barb - those homegrown tomatoes...I hear you on that one. We have them every year.

Oh, now you made me hungry (again) back. We're hopeless, aren't we?

6:47 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

oh, and the toasting. I was too hungry for that, but makes it much better.

6:48 PM  
Blogger junky said...

the Monte Cristo, that be some good eating, oh and a Slim Jim sandwich from a Elias Brothers Big Boy, no other Big Boy will do.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Monte Cristo...I could take that. I have to google a slim jim because, as a dumb Canadian, I thought that was a drink or a smoke or something.

O.K., I'm gonna' find me an Elias brothers in this lifetime. My mission.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

OMG!!! I'm stealing the raisin idea.

I LOVE tomato and mayo sandwiches. O gawd, I'm so hungry right now...I think I might have to make a trip to the store. Oh, and toasted bread too...ahhh!! Ok, I'm leaving to get something to eat. Thanks for the giving me my second wind, I can now finish my work :)

9:52 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Oh man, now I want a cucumber sandwich. Love peanut butter and banana sandwiches but have never had it with raisins. I think I will have to try that one. Hmm, I don't have a cucumber on hand but I do have bananas and raisins. Must stay away from the kitchen!! :)

lol on the t-shirt that you spent 2 bucks too much for

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you stole the peanut butter banana raisin and honey from meeeeeeeeeee

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ham, brie cheese, green apple, spinach, on sourdough...mighta been a flavoured mayo in there too.....it is the ebst

10:04 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

allison...steal away dear. It really adds to it. Good second wind/work food!

tc...now I want a cucumber one too...no cucumbers though :( Plus, I think they cost about 8 bucks right now at Safeway.

kelly...welcome back!! You too huh on the pbrh? The last one sounds really good. I've gotta' get over to your blog and see what's up.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Oscars: I'm glad Helen Mirren won for the Queen. Now I really wanted to see that when it came out and yet it was barely on for a week in the smallest cinema they could find only for it to vanish again ... honestly! But if they put that on TV I bet it would get a really good rating (here, anyhow).

4:53 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Is everyone else really hungry here? Cucumbers. Apple. Brie. Cheddar. Walnuts. Parsley. Swamp Water. Yum.

Or is someone here pregnant and not telling??

4:55 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

& I thought a Monte Cristo was a CIGAR ..--==!!

4:56 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

oh and a slim jim's a pepperoni, that's what it is.

i'm glad she won too gled. did you hear the Queen's now invited her over for tea?

12:19 PM  
Blogger B said...

Hey Deb

I agree with you about being able to live on PB sandwiches. I was hooked on that show for some reason?

I do however have an adversion to cucumbers I have no idea why but I hate them.

Pizza! I love Pizza yum

2:02 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

b...I'm like that with some stuff. I've never gone for the exotic fruits like mangoes/papayas.

pizza, can't go wrong really.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Deb. Get that iron up.

What's HP sauce? Local something? Doesn't ring bell with me.

First, I love sandwiches.

Toasted wheat with a big juicy red tomato that is room temperature (not refrigerated), mayo, salt and pepper (enough so you can see it).

Same as above with bacon added.

BLT. (this can be on white toasted)Must be in this order: toast, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo, seasoning. That way the tomato soaks into the toast. May put a slice of American cheese between bacon and lettuce (bacon holds it from slipping)

White, really soft bread, beef baloney, cheddar cheese, mayo, and fritos (on top of the mayo). Crunch it down really good before eating.

Any hamburger, most any way. At times I like it Rosmary's Baby rare (you have to know the movie) and still juicy, just plopped on a bun with some salt and a slice of cold cheese.
Mmmmm.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home