Sunday, February 18, 2007

"My name's Deb and I'm a postaholic".

There, now we've got that squared away.

I just composed a big long post and then deleted it. I should be deleted. Anyhow, it was too long so that's my sign to condense things.

Some time ago a thief/crackhead spirited entrepreneur was spotted by my neighbour, rummaging around by my back door. "C" knew that this guy didn't belong here so he approached him and asked what he was doing. At which point the guy pushed past him, jumped on his bikemobile and left (he had one of those baby carriers on the back of his bike - it's common here with the crackheads). C knocked on my door and told me about the guy and I sprang into action. Idiot. I hopped in my car and tracked the dude down. I had him lined up, right in front of me as he pedalled his ass down the road with our stuff (mostly bottles). He veered right in front of the car to cross the street to the park and I seriously considered ramming his cart. Seriously...I almost did, but I managed to restrain myself. I blasted the horn and scared the shit out of him, to which he gave the finger. I then rolled down the window and yelled "stay the fuck out of our carports". Did I ever tell you how stupid I am? Dumb, dumb and dumber. So now he knows me/my car. And where I live. I am such an idiot. Here's what happened the last time I opened my big mouth in a road rage incident (I'll tell that story one day - nice broken nose for me).

He then entered the park and I zipped around to head him off at the other side. Which I did. He "waved" at me again and I pulled into the community police station that was situated right on the park. I went in to report him and, well, they don't care. They don't have time. The donuts won't wait. I do understand that this is petty stuff and they have bigger fish to fry. But this cop was right there, doing nothing and he could've got the guy with stolen property if he'd just swaggered outside. Nope. No go. He did say "we know who the guy is". Comforting. So I assumed this meant he could be back - that he was a "regular". Now please, understand, this isn't about the stuff that this guy's taking...no, no, no. It's the mama bear protecting the den - my daughter's often here alone while I'm at work. And I really don't want her to run into this guy if she's heading out the back door sometime. So my motives are purely protective and it's more about feeling violated than anything else.

And he has been back, with reinforcments it seems. They work shifts, those eager beavers. We figure there are three of them - one moron on council said "oh yeah, I've seen them", to which I questioned what he did about it. "Well nothing" (I stuck my finger in my nose could probably complete that). I suggested that perhaps, as someone on council, he "get more involved" and address these guys who are trespassing (we do have signs posted). Or do something. But, he's a chickenshit so he watches them. Three different units have had bikes stolen - and we're not just leaving stuff lying around**. We're talking locked up in the rafters with chains and they bring cutters. They've recently taken to smashing car windows to break into them. There's nothing in them at times, but they still break in and have a look. Ha, the first one they broke in to belongs to a Vancouver cop who lives here (they will put down the donut and kick your ass if necessary. Or even when not.) Now he's on the lookout. Good choice guys.

(**So I decided to play the game...I put crap out that would normally go to the dump. I put a nice looking little TV out there (that shuts on and off) - no dice though...they didn't take the bait. I figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. This made that council member mad - "don't encourage them". And he had a point so I've stopped. My thinking was that they come anyhow, whether there's stuff out there or not...may as well make their "visits" useful? They haven't returned to my unit. I think they think I'm crazy.)

I'm not really worried about the stuff - that's not the issue for me. I don't want these guys poking around here with all the kids who live in here - what if they encounter them? I knew I should've run the guy down, damn it. Blew that one.

(condensed??)

13 Comments:

Blogger mellowlee said...

Holy moly Deb, that photo of you looks PAINFUL OUCH! :O( Poor you! When did that happen?

12:52 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

it was some time ago Mel. I'm going to post about it. In a hurry now...it's been chaos this morning.

The ex came to get T & L for lunch. Brought the dog and a beer (which I'm having and it's just after lunch...bad influence. But Nascar's on so, hey, I'm one of the boys). I fed the dog some roast beef/gravy I'd saved for him. He slopped it everywhere (including on me) then jumped on me to lick what he splattered. When he did that he knocked over my beer, into the brand new box of Goldfish crackers. As I raced to the kitchen with the beer leaking crackers, I knocked over his big water bowl...all over the kitchen floor. Whew, I'm tired. Drinking's hard work. They're gone now...bike ride time. Glad you're back babe...we missed ya.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

"Drinking's hard work" Oh Deb - there's never a dull moment with you around. May I quote you today?

You should have run him over and dumped his bike in the cop's carport.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

sure Barb, go ahead.

Some drinker I am. After the two sip and spill deal, K gave me ANOTHER beer. Which I opened, smelled, went "ew, I don't want it" and stuck it in the fridge to stay there for two weeks. Hardcore.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

A postaholic! Well, all I can say is lucky for us that you are.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Hehe, postaholic and the quote 'drinking's hard work'...knew there was a reason I keep coming back here :)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

thanks guys...I'm so glad you DO come back through some of my nonsense.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Postaholic.

I ran across that picture in flickr earlier this weekend.

I think it was in the "i shoulda killed him" group.

You should have.

Was there an unabridged version of this? ha.

Take care Deb.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I seriously considered ramming his cart. Seriously...I almost did, but I managed to restrain myself"

Considered is the operative word... people who don't consider things are the ones who end up in serious trouble...

I had a serious fall-out with someone last week and had to restrain myself from doing something I'd regret later... So I know how you feel there. (Well don't we all? But DO we? I'm not always so sure...)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Rob...there was supposed to be another version...somehow that got thrown out the window along the way (as is the case with me).

gled...i'm learning to curb myself a bit. it's an ongoing process.

5:40 PM  
Blogger MyDirtyLaundry said...

Wow, you've got some balls! I like that. Your scummy encounter actually reminded me of one of mine. I used to work in a video store and one day, some lowlife took it upon himself to try and steal a few DVDs. He was heading for the door, when I nailed him with a stapler (it was the only thing within reach). Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and I didn't realize how stupid my actions were at the time...I'm looking forward to reading your story about how your nose was broken. Ouch!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

stapled him...that's a classic....love it. I don't think I'll do a post after all - the story behind that is that we were returning from a day at the beach and we inadvertently (according to him) cut some guy off. The entire drive down the highway he kept weaving in & out of lanes just to cut us off. One time he did, then he tapped his brakes and we rear ended him - totally his fault. He got out of his truck - he was a huge German guy, probably 6'7" or so. He went nutso and initially my b/f at the time (who was known as one punch M) cleaned his clock...to which he decided to come and take a nice swing at me. I charged him and when the cops went to get a report from him, his wife answered the door with a black eye...surprise.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Lala...funny thing is the wife initially told the cops that I gave her the black eye...protecting his sorry ass.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home