Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Drunk Dialers Should Be Shot

I stole this from Eddie (thanks). It just fits some days (nights).

I don't sleep very much (as you may well have noticed from the times of my comments). I'm exhausted, but the wheels keep turning. I'm hoping I get the o.k. tomorrow to get back to working out...that'll help. But for now I'm still watching TV at 3:30 a.m. and the next thing I know I'm popping up out of bed by 8. Four hours just isn't cutting it...it's catching up. So tonight, out of sheer exhaustion, I sat down for a moment and quickly found that I was soon lying down, then dozing off. It felt good...the late edition of the news was just ending, which meant it was around 11:30. Then the phone rang and ruined the bliss. It was the ex. I know that if he calls at this time, he's had a few. He's normally in bed by 9, as he leaves for work at 4:30 a.m.

This is how it went down:

"Hi, are you asleep?"

"I was"

"Who's the guy doing the first song on the CD you made me?"

("oh for fuck's sake". Being a good ex, I go to the computer and check the playlist to quickly discover he's a moron and it's not the CD I just made for him, he's talking about one from awhile back.)

"It's Tom Waits"

Then he proceeds to ask a kazillion questions about him..."where did you hear about him?". "Did you know he's white, 'cause he sounds black..man he's got soul?" and so on. Apparently he'd just seen him on TV and had to know everything about him, right then and there. Which is how he operates. Couldn't wait until tomorrow...had to be NOW. Please, someone shoot me.

"Everyone knows Tom Waits. Where the hell have you been? I'm tired...gotta' go". He was so much cooler when he was with me.

After music history 101, I couldn't get back to sleep. And so it goes that here I am, playing in the 1 a.m. poker tourney (again).

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Mustafa Şenalp said...

TRKEY/ KAYSERİ

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you need call display, or answering machine that says..."if this is (insert ex's name here) this better be important and you better have not had any drinks or I will come over and kick your ass, tomorrow, not tonight cause its late you know...you do know its late don't you? Now if you want do dare risk Debs wrath stay on the line and I will pick up shortly after I found my baseball bat
ps...everyone else please leave a message and have a lovely day

8:23 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hi mustafa!

kelly....damn good idea. I'm kind of programmed to answer the phone in the night because of the situation with Mom. But screening definitely is the answer.

9:21 AM  
Blogger MyDirtyLaundry said...

I guess you can never be too old to drink & dial, eh? I shouldn't be one to talk, I still do them on occasion with exes I haven't spoken to in years.

I've been having trouble falling asleep since late last year and I have a little trick that may help. I watch pop in a TV box set (currently it's The X-Files) right before bed and usually only get thru a couple episodes before I'm tired and fall asleep. Unless you get on a roll with great episodes, then it's harder to press 'stop'. Then you're fucked.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

That's a good idea lala...hard to shut the ol' brain off sometimes.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

What a complete dork. You are far more patient than I.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I used to be way more patient. He used to do it a lot, (and way later...like the phone would ring at 2). But, with all the stuff with Mom and Dad going on and me burning the candle at both ends, I'm quickly losing patience with it all. It's especially inconsiderate because I've told him that when the phone rings at that time that my heart sinks and I think that's "the" call re Mom.

4:00 PM  
Blogger junky said...

...it appears that more than the piano was drinking...

when must people meditate they go with the om mi padme om, I go with the don't give a fuck today, etc.
mantra it helps keep me grounded.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

don't give a fuck really works for me. And I'll rephrase some of my post here...to "someone please shoot me" I'd like to add "or, better yet, HIM".

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home