Sunday, March 11, 2007

This day in history:

March 11, 1935 - The Bank of Canada was founded. Its first home in Vancouver was in Page House at 330 West Pender Street, famous for its stained-glass ceiling. “Back then,” Robin Ajello has written, “bank robberies were a popular craze, so the bank had a machine gun installed to defend the enlarged vault that at one time held all of the bank's B.C. assets. Cash was safely lugged in and out along a since-walled-off tunnel that ran underground to West Hastings Street.”

(Taken from "The History of Metropolitan Vancouver", one of my favorite sites!)

8 Comments:

Blogger Toccata said...

My father is a history buff. I know he'll enjoy the site and then I also know my mom will have to endure, "Hey, come here, you have to hear this!"

11:54 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow, old money, no loonies or toonies back then and now they want to rid us of the penny. Actually, ok w/me. Nice post.

Deb, another Canadian

2:15 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

I just came by to tell you I had just met the other Deb. I thought it was you at first and so wrote a comment thinking I was talking to you. You two are going to have to come up with some kind of code name. BoxedDeb and ToiletpaperDeb?

2:55 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

tc...I found it so interesting. I'll be posting a lot of tidbits from there. I'm like your Dad - my kids get tired of the "hey come here's".

deb...welcome aboard. I wouldn't miss the dirty old pennies either. What part of Canada are you in?

2:55 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

can get confusing, hey tc? But mine will always have my pic :)

2:56 PM  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

So, what is the exchange rate on the U.S./Canadian currency?

8:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I wish my bank had a machine gun by the vault. That would be pretty cool.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

jr...not sure at the moment. Never get down there anymore to spend any $$.

Barb...how cool is that?

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home