Friday, March 09, 2007

Well, that was shortlived. Didn't have time to play poor me for long because, as I was typing an email, I started to feel a lump in my throat. I knew it was more than the sorrow, and especially when I started smelling toxic, melting plastic fumes getting stronger and burning my nose. I was preheating the oven and damn if I didn't leave a little plastic, microwavable pot in there. I have little to no storage in my kitchen so I store clean pots/pans in there. I checked and thought there were none before I cranked it up to 400....WRONG. We quickly had to evacuate...I opened all the doors/windows but not before this plastic lump of smoke lodged itself in my throat. And my pot is now a puddle of black ooze all over my oven racks/bottom. Got my mind off things though.

Oh and as I typed my labels, "vacation" got stuck in my mind. One of my customers returned from 3 weeks away and, as someone who's never really travelled much or had holidays, I got totally immersed in his stories of afar. He travelled to Viet Nam, Cambodia, Laos, etc. He said that it was a very reasonable vacation and that, especially in Viet Nam, the rooms were immaculate/beautiful as they strive to lure tourists in and there's heavy competition. He described Laos as being a favorite spot. Apparently the "sight seeing" is done on the river and you float for miles in an inner tube, your belongings "secured" in zip lock baggies. He said it's nothing but little bars/restaurants and the owners stand and hold out long bamboo poles to grab on to, then pull you in to their establishment....this is how they "bar hopped". I could do with a float down a river right about now...after all the chaos settles down I'm going to take my kids and travel somewhere. We need to experience some of this life, rather than just survive it. I'm starting to save now.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

it just kinda rolled out. I'm in a mood, aren't I? And this post probably grew from when you intially read it. I'm gonna' add a picture now because it's boring without one.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Yummy, melted plastic - everybody's flavour favourite!

You are right about having to experience life rather than just surviving it. My mantra, which I often have to tell myself because it is usually so much easier to just stay home, is that at the end of my life I am not going to remember those evenings sitting on the couch.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Sebastien Millon said...

Sometimes when things go bad, well, it just doesn't stop...

Good idea to try and save to travel. There are so many places to see and experience, I always felt that travel also made me appreciate my own home, friends, surroundings even more!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

That's so true Barb, those ones aren't so memorable, are they?

sebastien...you've got that right. I try and keep optimistic but we've had nearly 10 years of "stuff", which is about 9 too many!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home