Monday, April 09, 2007

No Show

This year, with all that's going on at the hospice, Easter wasn't really too high on the priority list (sorry Christians). I figured as long as I did a turkey feast, I'd have things covered. Now, understand here, EVERY holiday every year (whether it be Hallowe'en or Christmas) I've gone "overboard" on the details - everything from the decorations to the treats & surprises. Easter involved hunts*, Hallowe'en had the haunted house/spooky music and we always went all the way with things. So this year I was cutting myself some slack and thought we could just breeze on by without a fuss. Wrong.

Linds came down yesterday afternoon looking rather gloomy and announced that she was sad that the "Easter bunny" hadn't made an appearance this year. No whining was involved...just a quiet sadness as she'd been on the phone with her friends who'd all been visited by the candy toting mammal. She felt left out.

Now, normally, this wouldn't be an issue for me...get over it kid. That, at 15, if the Easter bunny still comes then that must mean that your bedtime is still 8:00 and boyfriends and concerts are out of the question. Can't have your chocolate and eat it too, right? But what we have here is Linds trying to figure out where she belongs in life. She's crossing over into young adulthood and isn't going quietly...she really doesn't want to grow up and has expressed that. Some of her friends are getting into drugs and things that she doesn't want to be a part of. So, for her, the Easter bunny represents more than 8 cavaties worth of chocolate - the Easter bunny is about innocence and purity and one last grasp at staying a child. It's deep. And Dr. Phil would agree with me, I know it.

By 8:00 she'd long forgotten about things and had moved on. And I ran to London Drugs......


(* Remind me to post about Ty's Easter egg hunt one year. I'll have to get his approval first)

9 Comments:

Blogger Gledwood said...

I don't bother with all that Easter crap either ... and there's me spouting the Bible yesterday ... well Easter isn't even Christian in my opinion ... I used to be a semi-pagan but it gets real expensive in crystals and incence etc// ... Spring has sprung here!! we have starlings everywhere they always remind me of oil spilled in the rain when it glistens "iridescently" .... Anyway I hope you had a tolerable one, Debs. I went to bed!!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Awww, I'm glad that the Easter bunny showed up after all, and good for you for allowing Linds to maintain some of her childhood. I'm all for that too, and besides who would I steal chocolate from if the bunny didn't leave stuff for Eva?

2:20 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Debs, you are the best! I bet that made her day xo

4:08 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hey Gled...I love when the birds start appearing. That's a good description of starlings too.

Barb...I love your thinking. I'm the same with the chocolate thievery (which is why I was opting out this year...trying to be good).

Thanks Mel...she was so grateful. She's such a neat kid...very appreciative.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

It does not surprise me that you always went full out. Growing up in your household how could you not! I'm glad the Easter Bunny finally made his way to your house this year. No doubt Linds was thrilled.

7:04 PM  
Blogger junky said...

my family gets along so poorly I generally go to a friends place much easier, this year I opted to spend half the day running computer cable through all of the attic so all the house is hard wired and wireless....weeeeee......happy easter, I'm a geek.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

tc...exactly. It's now in my blood. We actually did our turkey tonight because everyone was available. So full.

Well that's a pretty productive Easter if you ask me. Sorry re the family situation...I can relate. Growing up, the Grandparent's house(s) always turned into huge fiascos and I hated it. And then came my ex - every holiday was a disaster. That's probably why I'm so determined now to make it a good family atmosphere around here. I hate the drama of dysfunction. Seen enough of it.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Aww, you're such a good Mom Deb.

I had no chocolate on Easter, but I went to Shoppers today and got some half-priced stuff. Heaps of it left over.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Allison...now you're a smart cookie waiting for the deals like that. I lucked out too....LD had all their stuff on 1/2 price (the baskets were really cute - I picked up a couple to use for other stuff like make up/hair accessories.)

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home