Friday, July 13, 2007

That last post was WAY too long...I've really gotta learn to keep it short & sweet.

Anyhow, the good news of the day is that our city council has decided to ban the use of anything but free range eggs at city-run facilities and functions. This comes with some resistance (obviously) from the chair of the BC Egg Marketing Board, who says there will be a negative impact on the industry by supporting a "specialty" egg over the classic egg. I say we cage him...he's an egghead anyways. (Lame, I know)

I applaud our council - you won't find me doing that very often. They're breaking new ground here and other cities seem to be following our lead. Vancouver is now considering the pledge to use only free range eggs as well.

If you've ever eaten a free range egg, there's no turning back, as the others pale in comparison (literally). Sure, they cost a little more, but they're well worth every penny...not only for the taste/quality, but for the chicken's sake.

Well done Richmond, well done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That is a pretty unusual step. Our mayor just gets pied, and I don't think it was a free-range pie either.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Free-range egg.... I have visions of these eggs wandering freely all about town... ;-)

6:25 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Barb...I'm laughing at the caged pie image. Our Mayor is also a big dork (maybe they just come that way?) and I've dubbed him the official ribbon cutter of the world...I swear that's all the guy does. There really are only two council members that I have any respect for at all. The rest are idiots and don't listen to the people here..they do their own thing despite continued resistance from the community. One of the good ones (the longest standing on council) is an old family friend - Steveston was actually named after his grandfather. He fights hard for the things that I believe in and seems to represent us well.

whitenoise...gotta watch those freebirds - they get a little out of hand if you give 'em too much space.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home