Saturday, January 19, 2008

Don Wittman, CBC broadcaster for decades, has died of cancer.

It's always sad when a voice like Wittman's is silenced...a voice that we grew up listening to and is part of who we are. It gets to be like the voice of a friend.

Sports have always been big in our household...everything from hockey to curling and I know that, for me, the sound of his voice connected me to my parents (Mom in particular). She was crazy for sports of any kind and it wasn't uncommon for her to have CBC on in the background as I visited her.

Don, like Mom, was 71 when he died today.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Whitenoise said...

Nothing to do with Don or cancer, but an odd death in my neighbourhood...

Over the past few months I've raised my eyebrows at an old guy on a handicapped scooter- zipping down major roads on his way to the racetrack. I've swerved around this guy, shaken my head at his nerve and wondered about his safety.

Well, he got hit. Dead at 81. Never knew him, but- as they say- an accident waiting to happen...

4:49 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh God, that's terrible w/n!! We have a few here who do the same...some of them actually speed through the building I work in and almost take people out in the process. And then they fly out the door and ride recklessly down the sidewalk. I comment all the time about an "accident waiting to happen"....so true.

Just awful...poor guy.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Don Wittman had such a distinctive rich sounding voice. I always enjoyed listening to his play-by-plays.

Scooters sometimes seem like a menace but think of the freedom they have given to so many that would otherwise not have it. I hope when my time comes I will be one of the maniac scooter riders still catching some joy out of being outdoors and racing here and there causing road rage in my path.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Wittman was a really well known voice, that's for sure. Very sad, his passing.

2:53 PM  
Blogger junky said...

Not trying to take anything away from Wittman, but thank god it wasn't the "coach".

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home