Sunday, March 02, 2008

There are some people in this life who take what's dealt to them and do amazing things with or despite it......... Jeff Healey would be one of those people.

Born with retinoblastoma, a cancer that usually strikes children (as it did him), it didn't stop him from being an absolutely amazing musician. I'll never forget the first time I saw him lay his guitar across his lap and play...definitely a WOW thing.

I was sad to read the news today...it seems that Jeff was admitted to hospital earlier in the week because of his cancer, but friends and bandmates fully expected him to bounce back as he always did. Apparently they were quite stunned when he died earlier today.

Out of the spotlight for some time now, Jeff's had to have tumors removed from both his legs and his lungs. His first rock album in 8 years, Mess of Blues, is due to be released soon, but it seems his real love was jazz, which was predominant in his last few albums.

Jeff is survived by his wife and two children, aged 13 & 3.

You can read more about Jeff here.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gledwood said...




This is one of those things I did realize in my midperiod wandering time a few years ago when I'd been sicked off with CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) struck down literally in my prime... I came to realize all manner of thigns...

You know the popular saying these days that "you can do anything if you want it enough, set your mind to it squarely enough" (can you grow feathery wings and fly out the window then? I think not! What nonsense!) No¬! MANY of life's afflictions and circumstances we cannot change... what we CAN alter is our attitude TO them and that's what your guy Jeff Healey did ~



so all power to him for that!



5:01 AM  
Blogger Toccata said...

This news saddened me as well. He just always seemed to handle himself and whatever life threw at him with such grace and humility.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

very sad, a tremendous loss

12:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I was so stunned to hear the news last night. This is a tremendous loss.

I only saw Jeff Healey perform once a couple of years ago, and while jazz is not generally music that I can take a lot of, his passion and his joy was so evident that it was an amazing show.

RIP Jeff.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

After a couple viewings (more Aimers decision than mine since she loved Dirty Dancing), he was the single redeeming factor in ROADHOUSE that allowed me to watch it.

RIP Jeff. Good guy, tough luck, great musician.

5:52 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

I heard the news while listening to The Strombo Show on Sunday. So sad!! I was always amazed by him.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now, after speaking of Dirty Dancing and Roadhouse, I saw this:

http://www.suntimes.com/
entertainment/
people/826810,swayze030508.article

(I chopped up link so it would all show. sorry.)

Okay, he was a redeeming factor too. I hope it's only a rumor.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home