Monday, June 09, 2008


Isn't it interesting when you learn something new about yourself?

Photography is quickly becoming a new passion of mine and, although I'm not very good at it (my daughter's much better), it provides endless hours of quality "me" time.

In the past it's always been loud music & heart pumping workouts that have done it for me - provided a "release" of pent up emotion and energy. Cleared my mind and re-energized me. But I'm also liking the contrast of the quiet, calm that comes with photography. The path that I normally tear up on my bike has become something quite new to me now that I stroll along slowly, camera in hand. I'm seeing beauty in things that I've never seen before.

I have my daughter to thank (stop by and say hello if you get a chance) for opening my eyes to and getting me excited about this whole new world (well, Alana too...I bought my first digital camera because of her). I've always enjoyed taking pictures, but it's becoming part of who I am and I'm thankful for that discovery.

What are some things that you like doing?

(UPDATE: My kids and I communicate via MSN at home...saves doing stairs and yelling. So I just clicked on Lindsay's and her status bar reads "HI, I'M MILDLY EPIC" which, obviously, made me laugh and prompted a response. I asked "why only mildly?", to which she replied....

"if I were more than mildly the universe would explode".)

(True)

Anyhow, here are some of my recent pics (more to follow...this stuff takes time!)
Look closely....you'll see a fisherman in this one............



Snatched this fish up and got little more than his beak wet...could give my brother a few fishing tips!
Although this one's blurry (like most pictures I take actually), it was pretty cool. He got this one by diving right in, off the dock, in order to catch it. Amazing!
The "Cardio boot camp" class passed by and, of course, Linds took the opportunity to jump right in (click on the pic to get the full effect of her joy in doing so).
My sunglasses make the color in everything very vivid/beautiful and it's not uncommon for me to take a pic while I'm wearing my glasses, then be disappointed at the end result when I see the actual picture. So I beat the system....I took the pic through my sunglasses! Genius, aren't I?
This last one makes me think of one of my favorite Long John Baldry songs - "Flying". (Did you know that Elton got the "John" part from him?...I just learned that the other night).

17 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Those are wonderful pictures! I think you have a real photographer's eye, which is something that I aspire to, but will never have.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks Barb...I'm not a natural, but I'm learning. Linds & Alana are very helpful.

For instance, I said to Linds a few weeks ago, "let's go out to the airport and get some pictures of planes landing/taking off". She said, very flatly, "I don't do planes Mom...everyone does planes". Oh, o.k. then.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Ali Mc said...

love the great blue heron pics :) and I like the lupins too. nice blog

11:02 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Photography can be very calming can't it. Those are lovely photos, as Barb says, you do have the photographers eye. Look forward to seeing more in the future. :)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Phaedra said...

Nice work on the photography Deb, you have a real knack for it. I love the pic through the glasses...I must give this a try sometime :)

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Debz, you stole that sunglasses idea from Matthew. :P

I agree with everyone, you've got a great eye for photography, you've got a lovely perspective. <3

You've got to love how a camera forces you to stop everything you're doing and focus on the most meaningful things around you. It's the perfect way to remind yourself of what's really important. :)

1:04 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Your photography is v good & I particularly remember (sure it was you) one of maple leaves reflected in water... now I used to capture (on v cheap cameras) such imaginative shots since I was little: with the age of the digital camera don't you think lots of us are becoming more creative and daring what we shoot, knowing we're not throwing $$ down the drain if it comes out wrong!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

cool ;-)

If you had done planes today, you woulda got me passing through YVR in at about 07:30 and back out at a little after 10- but your trail pics are more interesting.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

hey that picture on the coffee mug looks quite like one of Joan Collins without makeup during her early Dynasty era. I shall try and drag it up for a laugh!!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Woops, hi guys...I've been MIA again.

It seems that I've been getting lost lately and I don't quite know where.

Hey Suzie...thanks alot...appreciate the kind words.

Allison...I'm afraid my photographer's eye comes with a little coaching from the peanut gallery. Here's how it works - Linds takes a picture of something and then I immediately follow after her and take the same picture. Brilliant (I think).

Phaedra...you should give it a whirl. With some of the places you visit, I bet there'd be some great shots! Digital cameras are so inexpensive now too.

Alana...well, to you I just say thanks. Because you've helped inspire me. And you're awesome.

gled...you've hit on a very important point for me. Digital cameras DO allow for multiple shots without throwing money down the drain to see the end result. The only problem I find with that is that I've yet to print out a single pic!! I have all these glorious shots on the computer but, heaven forbid, if something should happen to it - they'd all be gone!

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, lady, PLEASE back up your work!! Throw your pics into some zipped folders and burn them onto CD or DVD, and if you don't know how, ask Ty, hehe.

Seriously though. Photos take up major hard drive space, every 6 months (at least every year) back up all your pics (preferably onto two different types: CD/DVD, a USB flash drive, free online mass storage sites like Photobucket, etc.) and then delete them off the computer before it gets really angry at you and melts into a PC mess, haha. ;) I wouldn't recommend such extreme lengths but you're no light touch with the camera, you take a lot of pictures!! :)

6:49 PM  
Blogger junky said...

ha camera shake you don't even know, your pics look like they are taken from a tripod compared to me, my essential tremor makes about 1 in 10 of my pictures come out.
I love the pelican thing fishing.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

The top one of flowers reminds me of bluebells and similar ones we used to have in our old garden... as for clever waterbirds able to catch fish in beaks and go through life without need for clothes, money etc etc I can only envy them.

ps I looked EVERYWHERE for that pic of "old" (isn't she 75??) Joan Collins yesterday and NO SUCCESS!!! though I found plenty of references to the shot (v famous and she doesn't look at all bad for 5 and "not particularly flattering makeupless, wigless b&w with stark lighting"...

4:59 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

ps don't lose your photos or even risk it put them at least on a keyfob thing you know a memory chip thing

also look into those printers. here you get them from a shop called Argos which sells everything.

look at the cost per print more than the cost of the printer, that would be my tip, also the cost of paper and obviously of full-colour refill cartridges and make a decision on that

if you did lose anything off a computer then you could always scan it back in!

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay well hopefully no offence to Gledwood, but as someone who used to sell them, please please don't buy a photo printer. The ink is expensive, the paper is even more expensive, and it's an ink jet print, you'll get about 2 years of quality out of it, it's not smudgeproof, it fades super super quickly, and frankly, paying Walmart $.17 per print for 10+ years of smudgeproof goodness is just a heck of a lot better.

Hehe, please don't hate (one of the only) honest saleswomen. :P

9:30 PM  
Blogger TK Kerouac said...

TKKEROUAC .

11:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Deb. See in your next post you are getting your signed jersey? Way to go. Nice pictures here - I love the world thru my sunglasses - I hardly ever take them off - I know what you mean about it looking better thru them. Long John's John is Elton's John? I didn't know that. "Don't Try To Lay No Boogie Woogie on.." me. Ha.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home