Tuesday, December 30, 2008

We're wimps out here on the West Coast. Although we generally get defensive and somewhat offended when people refer to this neck of the woods as "The Wet Coast", we'd welcome that right about now. This has been the worst dose of winter that I can remember in my lifetime.
When it snows here, we act all Miami and are aghast at the sight of falling snow...it may as well be pixie dust. Despite the fact that people in other parts of the world think we live in igloos and snowshoe to work, we're actually very inexperienced snow people. Every conversation on every street corner is weather related and we all turn into meteorologists. We're captivated and terrified, all at the same time. The snow immobilizes us and, in this household, we're damn near down to stale bread and water. Really cold water. Again, despite all the misconceptions, we don't know how to trap our dinner. Which means, at some point, I'll have to venture out to Safeway. Pray for my safe return (the last expedition didn't go so well).

This isn't your average snowfall here - we're lucky if we get a big dump of it and then it's gone before you really get acquainted with your snowman. But not this year - this year it's brought parts of the city to a standstill and it's piling up at the foot of driveways and forcing cars to park in the middle of the road, as there are no longer curbs. Our drivers cannot parallel park at the best of times, THIS is a complete disaster. It looks like people have just abandoned their cars in an "aw shit, I've had enough" moment and opted to skate home. I'm quite sure the boxing day shoppers, with their dogged determination, must have rented bobcats to get to the mall. They're a special bunch, aren't they? If we're ever attacked, I'm throwing them out there on the front lines and telling them there's a 75% sale on.

Anyhow, the weather forecast keeps making false promises of warming trends and rain but, according to the mini blizzard that rolled through for 7 minutes yesterday, it's a crapshoot. How far is it to Hawaii and is there a bus that goes there?

This morning I got up to make coffee and when I looked out the kitchen window a duck landed in the parking lot beside my car. A duck?! Mother nature's confusing the hell out of the wildlife...either that or the word is out in the bird world "hey, head over to this address...she throws food out the window for us". (Yes, I do. Bylaws schmylaws).

I do have two crows who show up each morning and peek in through the window at me until I give them some tidbits. I swear one of them was knocking the other morning. This week they've had the all you can eat buffet, consisting of turkey skin, potatoes, corn and even some shortbread for dessert. Today there were crows, seagulls and a duck out there lined up like it's the feathered friends soup kitchen. I did notice that, although the seagulls usually overrule and eat everything in sight, they gave the duck his space. The visiting duck was shown some hospitality by the locals. The crows - not so lucky...it's a bird eat bread world and they've gotta learn to get in there and fight. Elbows out (they don't have elbows, do they?). Maybe they could take a lesson or two from the boxing day shoppers.

Bring on spring now. Please.

(I had photos I'd taken, but Blogger's frozen and won't let me post them...will do so later)

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice description. You made me smile, in fact laugh - I can see people deserting their cars because they can't parallel park. Ha. Over here, we always chuckle when a southern city like Atlanta gets a dusting of snow - cars spinning around and crashing highlight the news. I'm surprised VCR has a bit of the same problem.

For all your snow and crazy weather, it seems we are lucking out. Sunday was in the 40 to 50's - not too bad for this time of year. I finished putting up the plastic over some bad windows I should have done a month ago.

Stay warm.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Man, it really sounds like you all just got dumped on with the snow.

A very happy new year to you and yours, Deb. :)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Busterp....oooooh, I'm so jealous of that "balmy" weather. I'm just not equipped for -12 (which it reached here one day). My lips are chapping and I think pieces of me are falling off. I'd love 40-50 and that would be cause to shed a few layers.

Al....today's the first gorgeous, sunny day. It's well received. A very happy new year to you too my dear.

My friends here keep me going and you two are no exception to that, in fact - you're tops on the list (along with a few others). All the best to you both...for the new year (and always). xo

11:22 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

If we're ever attacked, I'm throwing them out there on the front lines and telling them there's a 75% sale on - that's got to be the most sensible national defense statement I have ever heard!

We are getting mounds and mounds of snow as well. I could swear that I am living in Winnipeg, except for the fact that nobody knows how to drive in this.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

I'm having a hard time feeling bad for all you Westerners, how bad is that?? I know you'll hate me for saying that, but I guess us Winnipegers have built up somewhat of a resentment for anyone who gets rain in a winter forecast. Our first snowfall lasts until April, and it's almost -30 here right now. But I don't think I get to legitimately complain either, I choose to live here, don't I.

Though it must be quite scary, having to drive/walk in snow and ice you're not used to. Hopefully your forecast gets back to normal soon and you can resume your usual activities, and maybe even get to Safeway without having to dodge poorly parked vehicles like an obstacle course.

I hope that present I sent is coming in handy now, I guess the timing was right. ;)

I've been thinking about you, have a lovely New Year's. XO!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

You mean wet as in rain?... well that's good surely...

6:40 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Barb...I thought it was a no brainer myself. They know how to get it done!

Mounds & mounds of snow seems to be the thing right now. We no sooner get it shoveled away when a new dump happens (like this morning). I give up.

Alana...I thought we were in the clear - the snow was melting. But that would be too easy...so, more today. I've yet to get to the post office to p/u my parcel. I'm totally excited though.

gleds...back to snow. :(

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Frances said...

Those who still don't have a mode of transportation could opt for the affordable prices offered by used cars Miami dealers.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home