Friday, January 23, 2009

God loves me.

I have to drive to Surrey today (now) and it's absolutely gorgeous outside.

It's been fog city here lately and when I drove out there last week, I nearly crashed. True story. At one point, I couldn't see the road AT ALL and found myself in the bike lane, about to go completely OFF road. (FTR - Ty calls me a pansy ass driver lately...I'm the brunt of his driving jokes because I don't do snow. He and the ex think I should be ejected out of Canada for that. Add fog to that list now. I did tell him a story about my "driving" that's changed his tune about me. Now he just thinks I'm a crazy lady again.)

So last Friday Ty and I headed out to Cloverdale to the track and I had to drive home at night (alone), after dropping him off along the way. It was dark and extremely foggy....at the track, we'd laughed as the horses rode off into the wall of fog, only to have the announcers stumble and stammer out their commentary....."uh, the horses are off....[pause, pause some more].....and someone's in front.....[pause, pause, pause]..." We'd see the horses finish (barely)...that's it.

On the way home I couldn't see a foot in front of me. Now, understand here, the route I take is difficult at the best of times - it's a winding riverside drive down a dark road (with few-no streetlights). At certain points, there is absolutely no shoulder on the road and, if you look down to turn the heater off, you could easily end up IN the river. A little dicey in the fog. Just when I decided to drive with my eyes closed so I could pray I'd get home, a semi pulled around the corner in front of me and guided me all the way back to the highway. "I love you mister...thank you". (I tailgated that sucker the entire way back to the highway). We were the only two vehicles on the road for the most part and it was a huge relief to have him in front of me. Those red lights on the back of his truck steered me home (if he'd have plunged in the river, I was right behind him...next in).

But today it's clear sailing. I love the sun and have missed it. This is going to be a good day, I know it.

;)

5 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Safe travels, Deb! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

1:39 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I guess I have never encountered fog quite like that, and I hope I never will. Yikes!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Canadian autumns and winters are so incredibly more picturesque than ours...

9:20 AM  
Blogger junky said...

It sounds like by the level of your driving skills, you need to move 112miles South. you would fit right in. :)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks a million Al...so far, so good.

Barb...we have a lot of flat, open farmland and, especially along the water, it rolls in pretty heavy. When I picked Linds up the other night, it was clear on the way to get her, totally fogged in by the ride home.

Gled...they really are beautiful. I could never live any other place but here.

junky...but you don't want that - some crazy Canadian woman driver weaving at ya on your bike as she reaches down to tie her shoe.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home