Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tonight's (this morning's?) a bit of a knot in the stomach affair. Yes, it's 4:36 am and I still haven't slept. Actually, I haven't slept much in 3 nights and it's a real uneasiness I'm feeling.

Ty's not here - he's back out in Surrey for the week. I miss my man in the house when he's not here. It's too quiet - he's boisterous and a night owl (like me).

We've been having ongoing problems with break ins/thefts, etc. (that I touched on in the "Ed" post). It's been going on quite awhile and has recently started again and seems to be escalating - now it's cars in the parking lot and our carports. On Saturday night a Lexus SUV two doors over from my place was hit. Broken driver's side window, stuff stolen. Nearly every car's been hit except mine (both of them). The Volvo light was on a few weeks ago, despite the fact that I hadn't been in it since before the snowfall. My neighbor brought it to my attention and I found it strange, but didn't really connect it to a break in. Don't know what I thought really.

So my neighbor, Caesar, warned me to be on alert the other day. We're a good team at this end (remember?) and I was pleasantly reassured when I heard voices at 2:30 or so the other morning and looked out the deck to see Caesar and Martin "patrolling" out there. They know I keep a look out too - we had a wave and I went back in.

Tonight I watched a late movie and when it was done, I heard something outside. The cars are out back and I looked there first. Nothing - no one around. And then I went to the front window and was surprised to see 3 guys out front, walking by with objects in their hands! Looked at first like toy swords or something. But as they got further away, I wasn't sure - it looked like maybe one had a tire iron and a club or stick. I watched to make sure they didn't head down our path and, as I peeked out the window, one of them turned back and may've spotted me. I wondered if they were heading to the end of the complex (and around the corner/in) or if they'd just keep going, but didn't want to let them know I was watching so sat in the dark.

So here I am, still sitting up in the dark. I considered calling the cops - but they rarely even show for these calls. My neighbor (a Vancouver cop) had just left for his 4 am shift before this. Maybe they case the place and wait for him to leave?

Very unnerving, to say the least. It's not just the fact that my new vehicle's out there, it's also very unsettling to think of someone poking around your place in the wee hours (with bad intentions). I don't keep anything in my vehicle - so unless they want to steal it, there's not much to see. But I just am creeped out by the thought that there could be someone out there.

Something that always factors in and comes back to haunt me was a terrifying situation years ago. When I was still with the ex, he was a Senior Shop Steward at work and was in negotiations that were long and drawn out. He worked hard to get things settled but, as things go, not everyone was happy. One guy, in particular, who had an unstable emotional state, was really angry about the deal. He'd been suspended more than once for outbursts and was bordering on being fired for behavioral issues. He started harassing the ex and, when he was ineffective at rattling him at work, started calling here in the middle of the night (when the ex was on graveyards). Threatening, crank type calls. Said he'd burn the house down, etc. (he was the kind of guy you took seriously). We quickly changed/unlisted the number but I'm once again listed (no address) under my married name, with the phone number. And K's just undergone some more stuff at work that's caused resentment towards him (it comes with the job...can't please all the people stuff). More threats and his vehicle's been broken into (and stolen on one occasion) - twice since Christmas. So that stuff always lingers in the back of my mind and adds to any uneasiness I'm feeling in the middle of the night. I know it's probably nothing to worry about, but still do.

It's not about me anymore. Or my stuff. But my daughter's up there and that's why I sit up at night, with my stupid 10 pin bowling pin and a wooden club right beside me. So far, so good...but every bump in the night jars me and I curl back into a ball of anxiety.

Some nights I feel very alone. Tonight would be one of them.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put away the bowling pin and get some bear spray (one of the benefits of living in BC - it should be readily available at a local outdoor store. I got some in my eyes once during training - it works - take my word for it - you can't see the square root of f#ck all and it hurts like a MF.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

That's a damn good idea...been thinking of that. Outdoor store huh? I wasn't sure where to get it or if it's even legal (have considered "arming" my daughter with some).

On the "to do" list. Right after "catch some sleep" (two hours just doesn't cut it).

Have a great day. :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Yikes. Hope you're feeling more at ease, Deb.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks whitenoise...yep, it's all good. No "incidents" and Deb's back to taking on the world again.

Bowling pin and all.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dominic Da Vinci. Mayor. Call him.

I always thought your city was idyllic.

I used to watch old Da Vinci's City Hall tv shows on late night weekends. I thought they were exagerating the crime in the city. To me most crime would be found in cities like Chicago.

Shows you what I know living in a rural town of 1,000. (I don't even know where the key to my front door is.)

Anyway, stay safe and get some sleep.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Rob....for the most part, this place is still o.k. It was just "one of those night"...the type that every creak or rustling of the leaves sounds like something threatening.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home