Friday, August 25, 2006

Dad

Since you're getting to know my family a bit, it's time you know about "Papa" (Dad). I have been blessed in my life with parents who love me unconditionally and everything they do in their lives is for me and my kids. My Dad is a superhero...no word of a lie. When Mom suffered a stroke 20 years ago that left her paralyzed on the left side, Dad made decisions that other men in his position opted out of. I remember the day, in Holy Family Hospital, when they were asking what we were going "to do" with Mom. Dad got this puzzled look on his face and said "what d'ya mean?". They explained that, just as the man of a wife who shared Mom's room was doing, there was an option for Dad to leave Mom in the hospital permanently, to be cared for. There was no question in Dad's mind. Mom would be home. He would care for her.

And that's how it's been for twenty years. Dad's worked outside of the home, as well as doing ALL the domestic chores - everything, like laundry, cooking, shopping, cleaning, gardening, even taking care of Mom's hygiene (although that's mostly my department - women's work). It's not been easy, but Dad's done it all without ever grumbling. He's a true man, through and through.

This is his garden....his pride and joy. It's his favorite place to sit, as he visits with people passing by. Everyone in the neighbourhood knows/loves him. He's the one who gives them freshly caught wild salmon and flower bulbs. I don't know what we'd do without him.....and just a short time ago we were facing that, as he battled cancer.

The new challenge on his plate is an abdominal aneurysm. He's been scheduled on my birthday to go have it dealt with. I just know he'll come through it, smelling like a rose. Because he's a superhero, remember?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home