Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Crisp Air Means Stew Time

This was tonight’s creation. As much as my daughter laughed at this pic and said it looks like dog food (I miss my dog when I cook...at least SHE always appreciated it), if this were a scratch and sniff you’d be drooling. It was so damned good I ate 2 bowls. There’s something about the weather getting colder that screams “new furnace filters” and “beef stew”.

I love cooking, always have (since I was 12). I used to look after my little brother while Dad was away fishing and mom was at work and I’d make “menus” with the evening’s selections. Real good stuff - mac & cheese, grilled cheese, cheese and crackers, cheese. I’ve grown a little since then.

My father is a cook. I’ve been spoiled my entire life and, to this day, he still delivers entire hot meals to my door after work so I don’t have to slave over a hot stove. He grows his own organic fruits and veggies, smokes fish and pickles beets, makes homemade cabbage rolls and pies, etc. Having a fisherman in the family (whose friends are all fishermen) means a never ending supply of fresh off the boat seafood - everything from halibut and salmon to oysters, crabs and prawns (and my kids won’t eat ANY of it - they hate seafood...d’oh). The rest of Dad’s friends are farmers...need I say more? I’m just starting to really appreciate what this means. Growing up in Steveston meant little local farm markets scattered all over the place and seafood was a given - we lived in a bustling little fishing village. We never gave the fresh produce/seafood a second thought - it was just always readily available. But that was then and this is now - times have really changed in the town that’s now a city. I’m very fortunate to have these things and, with Thanksgiving coming, I guess I have a lot to be thankful for.

Dad’s have been big shoes to fill in the kitchen but, in watching him (and the cooking network) over the years, I must admit I’ve been known to fix some pretty satisfying meals myself. My kids think I’m the best cook that ever lived (as does my ex - there are two things that he says he misses about me and my cooking’s one of them. My big mouth is not the other. I’ll let you figure out what it is).

Now, keep in mind I AM trying to wean myself off chewing on cow’s (and their friends) - if I had my way it would be a meatless stew - I like onions, garlic, celery, peppers, (especially) parsnips, potatoes, tomatoes, fresh corn, cabbage, mushrooms, parsley, carrots...pretty much every veggie but the kitchen sink. But my kids won’t buy in yet so I’m slowly cutting back on the meat portions. Soon there’ll be one little cube of stewing beef in the entire pot - they can fight over it. Or we’ll play a new game called “meat, meat, who’s got the meat?”.

9 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

I love to cook too. In fact I'm about to make some soup and try out various recipes for pumpkin pie this afternoon. I find it very relaxing :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Alana Elliott said...

So your ex misses your cooking and your...boobs? :P

LOL

*sigh* I hate cooking. Occassionally I enjoy baking, but cooking is something that just frustrates me, and unless it's sandwiches, it never turns out well. I'll move out of my parent's place and live on everything microwavable. :P

That stew looks fanstastic, by the way!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

My soups are very bland, lame and boring...it doesn't seem to matter what I add, they always taste the same.

Pumpkin pie.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I love it. Can you email me a sample?

Alana....probably the other thing is my money (I actually used to have some).

There's some pretty good microwaveable stuff out there - I love it. My favorite is the Stouffer's (bowl) - Chicken Penne Pasta. It's scrumptious and I don't think I could make it so good.

If I was on my own I'd hardly ever cook. Set Time, Power, Go (Done).

5:58 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

(Alana...this is such a coincidence and is part of that "dodoDOOdo dodoDOOdo" twilight zone shit. I was over at Raymie's blog, which I frequent. I kind of use it to relive my childhood and act wild and crazy...I love the anonymity. My alter ego over there can say/do things I wouldn't normally (always) say/do. So I'm reading comments and see that you responded to "somone's" comment re SOAD (and the fact that they make their own words up). That was me dude! I just can't figure out words to some songs so I "wing it" and that's how I sing that one...always have. Just thought it was funny that, with all the comments over there, the one you addressed was mine....figures, huh? LOL)

6:06 PM  
Blogger Alana Elliott said...

LOL, you're Someone?? I didn't know that! That IS weird!

HA HA HA, that SOAD song has nothing to do with ice cream! It's called "Toxicity", and it an incredible song about politics and government, lol. Seriously, it's a fantastic song, and though I usually agree with Raymi about everything, she's WAY wrong about SOAD. And also seriously, it's not about ice cream! :P

6:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That stew looks very much like the one I make. Love lots of carrots in a stew, and barley. OMG barley!!

Your kids do not know what they are missing, not eating fish.

6:46 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

MMM I'm drooling now! I wanna come over for stew :) j/k
I love seafood. I can't understand when people don't like it.
I make great soups. Don't be afraid to add lots of spices to soup! Sometimes a can of crushed tomatoes makes a big difference. Lentils and split peas thicken it up nicely too. I like soups 'cause they are nice and cheap and you can make loads of it ahead of time :)

I agree with Barb about barley. It rules! Beef barley soup MMMMMMMMMM.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Alana...I know, I really don't know where I heard ice cream. I can't understand much with all this dry hair over my ears. I do not agree with her on the Kylie Minogue either...I just am not that into her (heehee...Oprah reference).

Barley rules...I didn't add it to this one. I should've, for sure, you're so right on that one Barbara. And carrots are so good, I add loads (and big chunks, I don't like little biddy pieces). But the parsnips are my favorite...love them.

Mel - you come over for stew, then I'll come over for soup, ok??

8:13 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Sounds like a great deal to me :)

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home