Sunday, October 01, 2006

Biker Chick

Awhile ago something "clicked" in my ex and he made a real concentrated effort to be more involved with our daughter and try and pull her out of the slump she's been in. They've always been tight, he just upped the involvement and started doing "special" things for her. Like the trip the two of them just made up to the lake to do some serious bonding...it meant the world to her. And the dirtbike he bought for her to take up there didn't hurt either. She was floored...she's always been really interested in the sport that her Dad and his friends are all so passionate about. She's a good kid - she asks for nothing and expects even less. So, out of the goodness of his heart, he'd decided it was high time she had a bike of her own.

This is her machine - we went out today and it was my first opportunity to see her ride. I was totally impressed, as my *ahem* under age "driver" bombed off down the dirt trail all on her own. As hard as it was for me to not run behind her going "slow down", "is your helmet buckled up properly?", "WATCH OUT FOR THAT GUY DOING THE SUPERMAN", I managed to stay cool. I was the official photographer, using her camera (which is why I don't have any "action" shots here....I'll post some when/if she ever sends them to me - we won't hold our breath, o.k.?).

My ex had his issues but, all in all, he's one hell of a good guy. And, although he wasn't always real "hands on" and interactive with the kids when they were younger, as they grow older he's trying hard to make up for lost time. I'm proud of him. But it's he who's being rewarded - this is time he'd never get back and, let me tell you, he's doing it up in style. Water skiing. Hockey games. Dirt Biking. Boy, mom's kinda' lame these days in comparison....but I don't mind - as long as they're happy, that's all that counts, right? ;)

(I will be posting some of her "action" shots later...they were really good. She's got the full gear and does not wear this get up (as cute as it is) when she's ass kicking the dirt trails. Then she tends to look more like Evil Knievel.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That's a great pic. Your daughter is sure a cutie and you can tell she is really enjoying herself and her new bike.
Good for your ex for coming to his senses and realizing that time passes in a heartbeat when it comes to your kids.
And good for you for accepting this sport which, I admit, is tough to watch your kids be involved in.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks Barbara. She's so much like her father - you know, the "on the edge" adrenaline junkies. I'm glad he's participating more with her now...they have so much in common.

It is hard, though, to watch her do things that involve risk/danger. Fortunately, her dad's very competent and I completely trust that she's in good hands. His "safety first" attitude alleviates SOME of the worry.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I second Barb, great picture.
I'm too much of a chicken to try out that sport but I'm glad that it can be a good bonding experience nonetheless.

7:31 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

That is a great pic. I'm glad he is spending some quality time!

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home