Thursday, September 28, 2006

Free Screening

I am very excited about attending this film on Oct. 3 at the Richmond General Hospital (Ralph Fisher Auditorium) as part of Canadian Mental Illness week. It won for Best Director at the Sundance Film Festival last year and should be well worth the price of admission (or, perhaps even more!). I tried to post a trailer from YouTube, but she is being a bee-atch and didn't cooperate (despite my numerous attempts). Anyhow, it's a very poignant look at the life of this manic depressive genius, who spent his life battling demons while creating some absolutely brilliant songs and cartoons. He's developed a cult like following and some of his fans include the likes of Kurt Cobain, Tom Waits, David Bowie and Matt Groening (to name a few). The film documents his struggle over the past few decades with the downward spiral of mental illness, all the while creating some fantastic work.

Anyone in or around the Richmond area should consider attending the screening. Doors open at 7 (light refreshments) and the film starts at 7:30 (no late seating). See you there!

9 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

There's always so much I want to see at film fests, and there's never enough time.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Sounds really interesting, I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I must confess, I've never been to one (shame!). I've been so tied up over the past several years that I don't even think I've taken in a movie other than a rental (and after the fact).

I'm actually free that night (which is so rare) and I'm really looking forward to it. I tend to stick mostly to documentaries/fact based stories and this one really intrigued me.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Will said...

o how exciting. i believe this has arrived on my netflix so i am rather excited as well.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

wahoo....we can swap stories Will. I just hope the clouds don't park over my condo that night and start shooting lightning at me as I get into my car. I'm so used to my stuff being placed on hold by some freak of nature kind of stuff that I PRAY I'll actually make it Tuesday night. I'm climbing into my bubble now...,,

12:21 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

oh...don't know where they (,,) came from. Guess I got so excited I jumped all over the place!! (teehee)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Alana Elliott said...

Hiya Debz! How've you been doing lately? I hope everything's getting better, with the whole insane plumbing situation and everything else. How's your Mom been feeling? Last I read she was feeling a little better, I hope she's still improving and kicking some ass. :)

Sorry I've been a total blog drag lately, you know the deal. I'll do my best to keep up on everything in the next few weeks but I'm still not used to the whole having something important to do everyday thing, it's kicking MY ass. :P

I do want to hear how everything's been going for you though, I've been sending you lots of mental vibes (I hope they're working! :P). I'll talk to you very soon. :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Gee, I won't be able to go, but if you do, I hope you review it for us :)

8:40 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Sorry guys, no review as I didn't get to go. My daughter's here alone and she's sick so I just had to do the good mom/right thing. Part of being a parent I guess. I'll rent it if it's available. But I'd really wanted to participate in the entire event - the film as well as the discussion afterward. Oh well, some things are just more important I guess. Damn it.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home