Monday, May 14, 2007

Fobulous

Tonight was bittersweet...on the one month mark of losing Mom, David took his one year cake at NA. Linds and I attended and, I must say, it was a moving experience. We laughed and cried as we shared stories and I learned a lot more about my brother. Although he'd invited Dad, we didn't know if he'd show. He's an extremely private man and shies away from anything like this, especially since it involved speaking in front of strangers. But I'll be damned if he didn't show up right before the meeting started and openly share his thoughts and feelings.

I am thankful for this wonderful group of people...they quite literally helped save my brother's life. Well obviously he played a big part in that but, without them, I don't know that he could've done it. I know it's not for everyone, but it certainly is the key for him. They spoke of how he connected right from the start and I really think this was the missing link in Dave's life. These people are sincere and genuine and I'm glad we have a program like this for those who need it.

Mom would've been so proud tonight as Dave accepted his one year fob and cake. He dedicated it to her.

11 Comments:

Blogger Gledwood said...

Someone even gave me the link the other day to the founder of the twelve steps and where they came from. Which is fascinating, seriously!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

I'm sorry we could not talk yesterday. Do you know when I came up with the times (which really were the only ones that fitted America & Europe and I can't do after 2am here which is only 6pm on the west coast ...) I was thinking "I bet Debs will have to work" and sure enough ..!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the 12 steps link:

http://www.recoveryemporium.com/Articles/Origin%20of%20The%2012%20Steps.htm

8:07 AM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Deb, I am so glad your brother has found something that is working for him. I'm also glad your father was there and felt comfortable enough to not only attend but share his thoughts and feelings as well.

Hope you are able to get out in this weather. I had a split shift today so I was out earlier and I am about to head out again before my evening students arrive. I love summer!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

It is so heartening to hear a wonderful success story like your brother's. And how great of your dad to put his reticence aside to attend.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

hey, Deb. Congrats to your brother, but to you as well. You deserve happiness such as this night with your family.

Your mom got to see your brother in his first year of sobriety, and this was probably enough for her to know that he'd be okay. You know that she was there with you guys all the way.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

gled...I checked out that link - interesting. I'm working quite a bit lately so I'm not available as much as before.

tc..one of the "funny" stories told about Dave. Initially he was relucatant to go to a meeting because "he didn't wanna' go hang out with a bunch of addicts"! Then his g/f reminded him that he already was.

Apparently he knew from the very first meeting that he "belonged" there, which isn't always the case.

Barb...it was a very important milestone for Dave. And Dad really surprised us...apparently he was very impressed with the group.

whitenoise...thank you for your kindness. You're right...it was huge that Dave got on board in time for Mom to see it. She'd worried so much about him and one of her last "meaningful" conversations with me was "are you sure Dave's o.k.?", to which I could reply, "yes, I'm sure he is".

8:42 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Congrats to your brother Deb! It's wonderful that your dad came and shared too. :O)

8:50 PM  
Blogger tkkerouac said...

Congrats to your brother Debs
you are a great support.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

thanks mel & tk....it was a wonderful moment - one that I questioned we'd ever experience.

10:01 AM  
Blogger wallycrawler said...

Hmmm...That's nice to hear .

Your Dad step'd up , that's great too . I have friends who need help . I'd like to see them sober .

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home