Sunday, June 10, 2007

As I've mentioned before, working out has alway been a huge part of my life...it's like breathing for me and when I don't workout I'm just not happy. That goes back as far as I can remember...I recall being about 12 when I started running on the dyke and I also swam alot back then. I've had periods where I've slacked it but, all in all, it doesn't last long and I'm totally miserable during these periods. I've been quite obsessive with it at times and can remember climbing on my stepper at 2 am because I didn't want to miss my workout. (I'm over that now.)

The entire time Mom was sick I let things slide. Actually, it goes back a bit further to when Dad was diagnosed with cancer although, during that time, I remember pedalling my ass off on my bike to try and shove down the worry I was feeling. But I started to forget what was important to me because my family is number one on that list. I was totally consumed with my parent's stuff and just didn't get around to my own.

Lately I've mentioned that I've felt very disconnected in life and I just realized what's been missing........




.....this.









My old friend, the step. Now, don't get me wrong and write me off as a heartless loser...obviously Mom is "what's missing", but I mean in terms of things I can change. I've had this baby for 20 years (it shows). I was trained as an aerobics instructor and step was my favorite so I focused on it as my specialty. It's been everywhere with me...in this picture I was at the lake on holidays.I took it there every year and I can't tell you how cool it is to workout in the mountains with deer watching (one showed up shortly after this pic). But over time I tend to get bored so, despite being connected with it at the hip, I eventually put my step away and bought a stepper and starting biking.

But today I dragged it out and dusted it off and quickly remembered how much I love it. Sounds weird, I know, but this was definitely missing from my life and it's good to reunite with my old friend.

And, yes, this is the most interesting thing that I have to post about at the moment. :)

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Ed & Jeanne said...

I've found that like everything else if life; a good balance a diversity works. I used to fixate on one sporting activity but now I really mix up and just do them for the sheer feeling I get at the time be it biking, running, weights, rowing, skiing, climbing or whatever. If I miss a day or two; so be it as long as I get back to it. You do have to be selfish to yourself for some amount of time!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Now I feel bad. The last time I had a good workout was when I was running from my in-laws after I told them I worked in consulting.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I'm glad you reunited with your lost long friend. :)

But, to be fair, shouldn't you be posting a photo of your reunion? :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

variant...hey, welcome. Diversity's a good plan...before I was so one dimensional and I've tried to mix it up lately too. Rowing is something I really want to check out.

mike m...that was so funny. Thanks for the morning chuckle!

dan...don't laugh at this, but I haven't mastered the timer on my camera yet. I'll do one of those "raymi" type self shots and post it...the last few I've tried, I've "missed" and got one eye or a shoulder or something.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Your post reminds me of how negligent I've been in this area. :)

10:40 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Back in the heyday of step classes, I used to go to a few of them. One instructor was superb, his classes were always packed (I don't know how we avoided someone getting killed by flying into the next person), but another instructor was soooo boring and did the exact same steps in the exact same order every class. But she was so sweet and nice that we felt obligated to keep going. Besides only about 4 of us would show up to her class.

And that is my step story.

Never tried in on a mountain though!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Paul Champagne said...

excercise must release endorphines, because you do feel better after a work out ... well except for the extreme joint and muscle pain.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I just wish I could get into exercise...the only workout I love is dance (and that's cause it doesn't feel like exercise) ...oh an sex...love that workout.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

toni...hi, glad you stopped by. We all have our moments...it's called being human!

Barb...I accredit a certain step instructor in getting me hooked. She was a sweetheart and was so energetic...her class was always fun. That's when I really got into and decided to get certified...she pushed me to do it.

Hi paul...absolutely you do feel better afterward. Even when you feel tired and don't feel like getting started, once you do it picks you up.

Hey robin...no worries - both of those burn calories too ;)

7:18 PM  
Blogger junky said...

I have to get some sort of program happening or I will go back too work a large tub of lard after my sabbatical. I don't think riding your motorcycle is much of a work out.
Any ideas for me Deb?

8:14 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I need to get back into my routine of biking, I really miss it.

I've only ever seen 'the step' from afar, never up close, I would probably trip over it ;)

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lookin pretty fit and muscular in your olivia newton john outfit there

10:12 PM  
Blogger David said...

On Monday, I went and walked a half hour at lunch. It practically was scandalous. Coworkers were pulling ever and asking if everything was OK! I guess that tells you how often I exercise. I was exercising at home everyday for a while. I kinda let it slip. Oh, well, I hope my coworkers get used to seeing me exercise. It will mean I'm doing it.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

hey junky...good to see you back. No, unfortunately riding a bike like yours isn't much of a workout, but I could whip you into shape. ;)

Al...my bike desperately needs a tune up. The brakes stick on and I need new tubes in the tires. It's like I'm dragging bricks when I ride. The step's like that at first but before long you'd be flying over it (amazing what good music will do).

kelly..."let's get phys-ical phys-ical". I don't do pics...that one was taken and I didn't know it until weeks later.

david...that's priceless, them asking if you were o.k. Walkings so underrated. It's a great way to get started again.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Good for you, Deb. And, you're in such a great part of the world for outdoor fitness. That photo of you shows amazing conditioning, but you should rotate it 90° so that you're on your feet again... ;-)

6:20 AM  
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Deb, send me an email and I will add you to the list of writers for The Experiment

8:33 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

up and down on the step, sounds like fun dear...

4:39 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

hey great Mike...I'll do that.

Eddie...when you have a life as boring as mine, that IS fun.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home