Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Hello friends...I seemed to have lived through my hell weekend. Oh, I forgot to tell you about my near death weekend, didn't I?

Well it all happened Sunday night when Linds & the mum-in-law convinced me to go The Old Spaghetti Factory. I wasn't going to go at first - I wasn't hungry and was quite tired. But they twisted my arm, so off we went. The plan was that I'd just accompany them but wasn't going to order anything - I was going for the outing and because I have a hard time saying no to those two. But, as it turned out, the place was packed and we had quite a wait to get a table so, by the time we were seated, I'd grown a little peckish.

I ordered the plain spaghetti with tomato sauce, which came with salad/bread. (The devil himself must've cooked it.)

We got home around 7:30 and I felt overly "stuffed"...I knew I should've stuck with Plan A and opted out of ordering food. By midnight I knew it was much more than a "full" feeling and soon thereafter became violently ill. Like I wanted to die kind of sick. I had severe abdominal cramps and had to stay in very close proximity to a bathroom. And a bucket.


I spent the entire night running back and forth - from bucket to bathroom. Not a pretty sight. Thank God I don't drink anymore...I can only imagine if alcohol were factored into the mix. Anyhow, by 7:30 a.m. I was exhausted, but too sore to sleep. I think it was around noon that I finally drifted off (semi sitting up) for an hour or two...then the symptoms changed from vomitting/diarrhea to chills/hot spells & aching everything. Mostly my head.

I swear to God, if a dumptruck had barrelled along my street I think I would've jumped in front of it. Well maybe rolled in front...jumping wasn't possible.

Bad, bad, BAD stuff.

So I'm quite convinced the restaurant tried to kill me and I'm sad to say that I'm probably turned off of spaghetti forever. Damn - it was my favorite too. Today was my first attempt at looking at food...very bland, teeny portions. So far, so good. This is a whole new diet plan...I lost 6 pounds overnight. Brutal.

I've never experienced anything like this and I can quite honestly say death would've been a better time. The only reason I didn't go to the hospital was because Linds was home in bed and I didn't want to disturb her (although I came to learn that she heard me puking all night).

I had to be at a meeting at her new school today so I dragged my ass out for that...I even felt good enough afterward to make my shift at work (despite having called my boss yesterday for the day off). So it seems I'll live. Which is a good thing because hockey season's coming up.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Gledwood said...

sounds like you had a virus as WELL as bad spaghetti

i NEVER TOUCH spaghetti now after stupidly selecting it during job interview type meal...

it was hell trying to twist it round spoon, not putting too much on, constantly wiping corners of mouth, dropping strings all over the place.. NEVER AGAIN

it was only voluntary work or what you might call an internship only a bit more casual...

only redeeming thing about the entire experience was that I did get the job

i hope you feeling ok now?

i felt crap the other day.. but nowhere near that scale

i once got d&v in india it was so bad i was shitting water (& i mean clear water)... the locals said wait till you're shitting blood then take the meds

i thought **** that and got this panamoebacide flagyl stuff that is usually used for VD in this country and had a big label "carcinogenic"

but it worked i was fine in 2 days you had to complete the entire course the pills made me really ill

bet you wish you had saved some of that food....

one thing... food poisoning usually takes a bit longer than that to come on so maybe it was caused by something else

the fact that you already didn't feel like eating even though you were in a restuarant says to me you might have been under the weather already without knowing it...

perhaps?

3:06 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

sorry what a convoluted comment

3:07 PM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear about your dining experience... ;-(

4:40 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

gled...no worries re the comment...I quite enjoy your rambling (meant in a good way of course).

I think you may be right re coming on too fast...others have also said that. I've never had FP before, so assumed it must've been it. But I'm hearing there's a nasty bug going around. :(

Feeling quite a bit better today...worked today and yesterday, with mostly just a headache & hot/cold spells.

w/n...yikes, what a doozie. How are you doin?

Hey, why don' I come over and see (you and Gled)....after the library, which is where I'm heading now (hope I don't spread something round the city....it's a "must go" trip there)

5:09 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Ugh, not fun at all. I was sick for some of the weekend too...but I think you got it worse. Glad to hear you're on the mend :)

8:12 PM  
Blogger MyDirtyLaundry said...

How awful! What could you have gotten so sick from spaghetti? Bad meat? You should send them an email and maybe they'll offer you a free meal. Stay away from the spaghetti, of course. ;) Hope you feel better.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Barb...you know, the salad was a little wilty and warmer than I like a salad to be. I kind of suspect it was the culprit too. Although, did that stop me from eating it? (d;oh)

Allison...I've got to get over to your new blog...heading there after this. Sorry you were feeling it too...what a pair we are.

lala...I emailed them Monday and no response. Figures. Although I doubt I'll go back anyhow. Funny, today I was at a store and mentioned it to someone I was chitchatting with and their response was "OH MY GOD, I know so many people who've got sick after they've been there". Great.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Ooooh, starvation. Welcome to my diet, it works. :S

Hope you're feeling better...

11:29 PM  
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

You poor thing. I had a similar experience a few weeks ago and I was saying then that death would have been much more easier to deal with HA

7:48 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

by the way, Deb, I love that picture! Puking in yer high heels, that's classy.

8:37 AM  
Blogger tkkerouac said...

not the nicest way to loose wieght,
throwing up is brutal
Hope you are feeling better soon!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Head in the bucket. Great visual aid. Ha. Hope you're feeling better and can someday eat spaghetti again - too good a food to leave out of your culinary diet. Have a great weekend.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

alana...I think I'll try Spiderman ice cream. :)

mike m...sorry you had to experience it too. Maybe we caught something here, on the internet?

Barb...hey, if you're gonna puke, you've gotta do it right.

tk...you're right...I'd rather hit the gym like you do. Brutal for sure.

busterp...I'm already thinking of testing the waters with spaghetti again. I'm a lifer.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sphagetti... i love it

6:57 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

me too rop. Or at least I used to. :)

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home