Friday, September 21, 2007

Matthew Good In Vancouver

Someone please, scrape me (us) from the ceiling. Last night we attended the Matt Good show and, let me just say that this rates right up there as one of the best concerts EVER. Now, first of all, I admit that I'm pretty biased when it comes to Matt and his music and he could've probably shown up in his monkey suit and picked his nose and I still would've cheered him on. I'm a pretty big fan that way (and so are you, I know it).

But, that being said, he did so much more - he did some old stuff, some new stuff, some old stuff done a new way and spent a good portion of the show telling stories and keeping us all chuckling. Some of the in-between-songs banter was the best part for me. Well, o.k., maybe not THE BEST part - but close, as Matt is extremely entertaining and a funny, funny man - quick witted and intelligent, but also very down to earth and approachable (despite the "asshole" label). I especially liked the story he told of the Victoria show a night or two before hand. Apparently he'd been bashing Gordon Campbell onstage, only to learn later on that the premier had been in attendance at the show. I love it. (Gordo was likely too hammered to notice.)

Although I'm a diehard Matt fan from way back, I enjoyed the newer stuff from Hospital Music the most...I've become very attached to that CD and my kids didn't elbow me TOO much when I sang out loud to every song (they had me sandwiched, damn it. No escape). Although I was a little disappointed that he didn't do "A Single Explosion", he did do a beautiful job on Odette, Metal Airplanes, Black Helicopters, 99% Of Us, She's In It For The $$, Born Losers and True Love Will Find You In The End. They were all done to perfection. Thank God I remembered to bring Kleenex to this show. And I used it too (no, not for my nose).

The show started with "Girl Wedged Under The Front Of A Firebird", which was totally cool and a great show opener. The only thing missing was "I'm Not Safer Than A Bank" ("BITCH") - those two just kind of naturally lead into one another and, for me, you can't have one without the other. But he never did play it. I should've boo'd and thrown tomatoes. Or, maybe not.

A big highlight of the night (for me) was when Rod (Bruno) joined Matt onstage to play "I'm A Window" with him - superb. My only gripe is that he didn't return for "Champions Of Nothing" and kick some ass with his guitar solo. Maybe that would've put me over the edge though - I have visions of my "air guitar" solo that would've accompanied him. I don't know that the people seated around me would've appreciated the scissor kicks in the head as I stood on my seat, rocking it out. But I did kind of half expect Rod to come back out and play it (knowing that he was there, ready to go) but, no go. He was probably already back on Facebook by that time. Despite it being for only one song, it was a pleasure (and an extra added bonus) to see "Uncle Merle" in action.

A few of the other songs that stuck out for me: The Fine Art Of Falling Apart, Suburbia, and - YES ALANA, he charmed the devils acoustically...it was AWESOME!!! (I totally thought of you when he played it.) He did many of his "old standards" too - Apparitions, Strange Days, etc. He totally screwed up the words to one of my old standbys - Symbolisitic White Walls (should've zigged when he zagged). Threw me right off my timing. I sang it correctly mind you.

Anyhow, enough of the BS - now for the really BIG news. I'd be posting all the awesome pictures we took last night, but I can't because we had to delete them all TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE SHOTS OF OUR BACKSTAGE PASS EXCURSION!!!! I know, I know...I'm completely pathetic and bordering on a groupie/stalker/looney tune. But I was thrilled right down to my socks that we were provided this opportunity...Linds even brought her guitar along and had Matt sign it (Mama worked her magic and emailed him and I'll be damned if he didn't hook us up for a meet and greet after the show). Only thing was that, after deleting everything on the memory card (including some great video I'd taken of the show), we were too starstruck to remember to take pictures while we were back there. I did grab a very quick video, but it seems we could've kept our awesome show pics/video after all. D'oh. (I'll post the video later)

Matt was very gracious to do this, as he was totally spent after performing for 2 1/2 hours and was getting ready to embark on his cross country journey. We appreciated it SO much and are still on cloud 9 (especially Linds - although she's just set off to Seattle with her Dad today for End Fest or something like that. She's a maniac...oh, to be 16 again).

Anyhow folks, this has been a very good month (sans tree plummets - I've just found a new cut on my pinkie). Maybe things are turning around for us? It sure seems like it.

Life is good. :)

(And don't fear my babies...even though I suck, there are some EXCELLENT pics from the show here and here)

Labels: , , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Alana Elliott said...

Stoked stoked STOKED!!! for you guys!! Oh Debz, I'm totally tickled about the meet-and-greet, you all deserve to rock your fabulous asses off to amazing music. I'd say no one deserves it more. <3

YAY FOR AVALANCHE! I will break down like a baby if he plays that here. I won't sing outloud, mind you. :P I'll be bringing my DSLR, I'm crossing my fingers for good lighting in that tiny theatre. Did you see any SLR's at the show? I'm hoping they're allowed. :S

Anyways!

So glad the show was so awesome, I'm excited for the pictures/video!!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

um, I don't know what a dslr is (I'm so lame).

I'll be right back...going to google it.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh, I don't know if they had those there.

But there were a lot of cameras, and some got some great pictures.

We deleted a really good one of Rod and Matt - the lighting was awesome from our angle. But it's gone.

:(

9:23 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Alana...I'm praying for a great experience for you too....YOU deserve it too.

I'll tell ya, after what we've been through lately, it's sure nice to have some good things happen. We've been on a roll lately (hang on, knocking on wood now)...hope the bubble doesn't burst. When I fell outta the tree I was scared maybe I wouldn't even make it to the show...whew, thank God I did.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

oh yeah, almost forgot about the food poisoning the week before. I think I've paid my dues for awhile.

Anyhow, I have noone here tonight. So lonely. :(

Linds is off to Seattle and Ty & Fiona are in Surrey. So - lucky you...I'm blabbing your ear off. :)

9:30 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

hang on I'm kinda lost a bit here...
by your other comments

glad you had a good time tho!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

("stoked"~(??))

8:12 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Baskstage passes? Awesome! What an amazing night you had. Jen in Victoria said his shwo there was really great too, so it sounds like MAtty is on his game.

We're going to see him on Tuesday night and there is assigned seating and everything. I feel so grown up.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

gled..."stoked", as in "excited", "pumped up".

Barb...Matt is definitely on his game right now. I love the assigned seating thing - we were pleasantly surprised at how good our seats were (they were closer than they'd looked on the seating plan). Hope you have a great time (and let's compare notes!).

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the stupid gabbly box seems to have broken
were you watching the interview? it goes on for 5 parts i think you can find the next one at the bottom each time
i'm just going out for a cig
i will be back at mine in 3 mins i will log my name back in if it LETS me
see yer soon hopefully

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what happened? did the box break i played witney as well but you never came back to the box i know it sometimes refuses to load etc

then the last thing i tried to put into it wouldn't come up on the main screen so i went here and left comment #10

i will be back at mine in a sec if you want to try again (& i've smoked that cigarette now 2!)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Too cool. You seem to get much more access to artists than we do around here. Glad you had fun.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Awesome!! I'm so glad you guys had a good time and backstage passes...why now are you uber cool ;)

I think I'm going to play from MGB now to remind me of home.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

gled...you were just "gone", so Ieft too. Thought it was strange that you didn't say goodbye...that explains it.

busterp...our local artists here are really down to earth and accessible, which explains our recent hobnobbing with them.

Al...we miss you here.

And you just do that...listen to Matt and you'll feel like you're right at home.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

* gled...that should say "so I left too"

8:08 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

All I can come up with is wow! Wow to the concert and double wow to the backstage meet and greet and holy cow to the getting the guitar signed!

He started his tour here but of course as is always the case in Victoria it was during the week and I work. I am not so wowed about that let me tell you. But, I am thrilled you got to go and now I see Barbara is going too. Not that I'm jealous. Ok, fine I am.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

tc...no worries. You can get the concert feel as people took a lot of videos (of full songs)...I'll post some later.

But next time I insist you get tickets (so we can compare notes). Or maybe I'll just hop a ferry over and drag you there. :)

(We've got half the country covered - I've seen the Vcr show, Barb's going to show in Alberta and we've got Alana in Winnipeg.)

11:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Hey Deb, how did you get those backstage passes anyway? Do tell.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Hey, sounds like it was a lot of fun... ;-)

5:34 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

I thought you might like this

http://gledwoodvideo.blogspot.com/2007/09/eurythmics-manga-anime-video-miracle-of.html

1:34 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Barb...I emailed Matt and told him that Linds really wanted her guitar autographed (she was going to drag it along regardless). He was gracious enough to actually respond and set things up. He's amazing like that.

w/n...it was awesome. So good.

gled...I'll check it out.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Robertson said...

Deb, I very much enjoyed reading your post about the show! I can also relate to your photo situation as I deleted my best ones and wound up with just a bunch of blurry photos at the end of it all.
Very cool that you and your daughter got to have a meet & greet. You're right, Mr. Good is awesome like that. That's why we all love him so much, right? :)

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home