Monday, January 21, 2008

Weird.

Today after work I stopped to get a personal pizza for Ty before I headed home. The order was going to take 15 minutes, so I popped next door to play Keno.

I was checking out the pictures that were posted of the people who'd won big in the lottery games and thinking how it was strange that we don't do that. And, as I scanned the half dozen snapshots of people grinning, holding their cheques, my mouth dropped when I saw the last one. Shit, it couldn't be. But it was.





Vince.







Damn. I asked the store clerk if I could take it and, after hearing why, he said I could.

I sat in the car and stared at the picture in sadness and it made me think...I'll bet he was pretty happy when he won that jackpot. But all the money in the world didn't make a damn bit of difference in the end, did it? When it comes to cancer, money doesn't mean shit. It's nothing really.

I've been spending a fair bit of time worrying lately. But I don't think I'll do that anymore...I think I'll just go with what I've got and ride this life out for what it's worth. Which is much more than what's sitting in a bank account.

9 Comments:

Blogger Whitenoise said...

Wow. Life throws curve balls.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I'm glad you were able to take the picture home, and I think you're right on the worrying front. I'm gonna try that too.

2:17 AM  
Blogger TK Kerouac said...

Being a cronic worrier myself, I hear ya.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

How bittersweet that is. You are right, we have got to live life right now and on our terms. It's all we've got.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Sorry Debs you have to spell this out for people like me: you mean he is the guy who died a few weeks back? ... OK I think I get the connexion, I got the impression he was a bit of a local celebrity and you knew him? OK!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

☆*´¨`*☆.¸¸.☆*´¨`*☆.¸¸.☆*´¨`*☆.¸¸.☆*´¨`*☆

hey have some stars!

☆*´¨`*☆.¸¸.☆*´¨`*☆.¸¸.☆*´¨`*☆.¸¸.☆*´¨`*☆

I think if I won a lot of money I'd be highly likely to give it away... not necessarily to "charity" where it too often is a drop in the ocean, but to individual people where you can change someone's life

that is something I learned about homelessness the charities say "don't give money to beggars give it to charity"

well excuse me! I WAS a beggar and homeless. the ONLY charity that EVER helped me was the local soup kitchen... the ones who spend millions on "raising awareness" (ie paying PR professionals and splashing out on double-page advertising)... they never did NOTHING for me

sorry bit of a rant there Debs I don't mean to bore you

actually one of my best friends used to work in the press office of a big charity and (partially) got the job from MY press releases!

i would like to work in that sector maybe one day at least I felt my colleagues (from when I did it voluntarily before) and the people from other charities were on my own level. my kind of people thing.,



what do you think of the harvest mousey avatar? i'm not sure about it but hey i got bored of the old one...

also better to wear a sheep's clothing than a wolf's, know what I mean..?!??!!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

yeah w/n...kind of threw me for a loop. Unexpected.

Al...worry can consume your life if you're not careful (I know that, first hand). But does it change things?

tk...I can't even picture you worrying. See, I learned something new about you. ;)

Barb...I tend to forget sometimes that we're here for a good time... Gotta remember that.

gled...Vince is our friend who died at Christmas. Younger than me - he was a great man. So sad to see his smiling face and think that it'll no longer light up a room.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

serendipity.

cool. so many paths you could take in a day.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Sterling Heights Attic Insulation said...

Hi nice reading your postt

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home