Thursday, January 31, 2008














Well no more time to wallow around in my pity party...there's a hockey game coming on, dammit. And then the Super Bowl. So really, is life all that bad afterall?

Last night was very unnerving...as part of my "I'm not picking you up late at night anymore" stance with Linds, I've made the following rules (unless there is an emergency). She is to either:

A) phone me at a reasonable hour and I'll pick her up (unless it's a special occassion or a pre-arranged late night thing)
B) find another way home (and this is not to include walking alone, bussing alone late at night, hitchhiking, etc.). A responsible RIDE home with a parent.
C) stay overnight wherever she is, provided that it's not a crack house, brothel, etc. A friend's, where there are parents at home only. And this is the as a last resort only.

So she got a ride home last night with her boyfriend and his father at 11:20 (reasonable, considering there was no school today).

I was on the computer when she frantically rang the front door bell. Two things were weird about this - first of all, she ALWAYS calls me to tell me she's on her way. Secondly, she has keys and usually comes in the back.

I opened the door and she said "hurry, let me in" in a panic. She was white as a ghost.

And what she proceeded to tell me scared the living bejesus out of me and has me nervous about this place we call home.

During the short jaunt home (approximately a 6 minute car ride), a van went zooming past them at a red light and they then rounded the corner and were behind it. It slowed down at that point and pulled into a side road and another van came flying up, did a U turn and the two vans then began exchanging gunfire!! By this time, they were behind Jessie's dad's car and the two kids thought (and asked Dad if) the tires were blowing out...they didn't know what was happening and just heard some very loud bangs. The Dad told them that there was gunfire (he saw the guns and the flash of fire from them) and Linds and Jess ducked in the back seat for cover until they got around the corner to our place (30 seconds away from the incident). Jessie's Dad called police and, probably because he didn't want to give an address, had to go down to the station and fill out a report. Police swarmed the street and there was a helicopter in the area for some time afterward.

Holy batshit, this is getting too close to home. Scary stuff.

My problems suddenly seem trivial. I think I'll just go enjoy my kids now and let the small things take care of themselves...life IS too short. And this made me realize that we're lucky to be here and that being in the wrong place at the wrong time can have devastating consequences. Whew, that was a little too close.

12 Comments:

Blogger Whitenoise said...

Wow! Scary!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Welcome to the jungle baby. Scary as hell to think of your kid in that situation. I hugged her hard.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

yeah, and my attempt at "tough love" and to "abandon" her when she wouldn't keep to my curfew kind of backfired. Bigtime.

7:40 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This place is really freaking me out. Dev is coming back to stay for good in the Spring. I hope he doesn't wander around the city too much, giving me ulcers!!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear Linds is ok, and everyone is safe and sound.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Yeah, even with Ty & Fiona...I try and drive them if I can. Fiona's near Guildford (where all that stuff's going down lately). She has to bus/skytrain every day so I really worry about her.

I hate how things are changing here. Be safe (to you and Dev)

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap...thats scary..you lead an intersting life...and sometimes not in a good way

8:17 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

damn straight on that Kel.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Scary. Sounds like an episode of some cop show (insert your favorite here:____________ )

Makes me appreciate my rural, out in the sticks, little town in northern Illinois.

Don't tell anyone but I don't even know where my house keys are.

Or that my garage isn't locked either and I have a ton of crap out there too.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

busterp....that's how this place used to be and I never thought I'd see the day that shootings would be happening on a regular basis like they are here. The police have been around my work twice in the past week and it's kind of worrying.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

For some reason I think of Canada as a USA with nicer people and less crime.

I didn't think of it at first, but one of my favorite "new" shows I pick up on public TV is Da Vinci's Inquest. Filmed in VCR, right now the story line is dealing with the hookers in the bad parts of town. Who would'a thunk?

By the way, the city looks nice.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

It's a nice place and Richmond especially so. Gorgeous (I'm posting pics from my walk later). But the crime is getting out of hand...every day there seems to be a shooting/death somewhere in what we call the lower mainland. A lot of gang stuff happening.

7:24 PM  
Blogger adriel said...

Life and her eccentric methods.

haha. maybe its a wake up call to spend more time with your kids ! (:

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home