Sunday, February 10, 2008













David Usher has been one of my favorite artists since the days of Moist. I've never seen him in concert...long story (involving the fact that I promised Linds I'd wait for an all ages show so we could go together). He's played several shows here - always in venues that were 19 and up. We finally learned that he would be doing an all ages show here which had us very excited and counting down the days. He'd be playing an outdoor set at Winterfest, right out in the street not far from our place! Well it finally happened (Friday night) and, let me tell you, it was so much more than what we'd expected.

First of all, the weather cooperated nicely. Although we've been experiencing snow/sleet/rain, it was fairly mild - a little on the cold side but it was WINTERfest afterall. And we're not wimps (that's a lie).

We arrived early, in order to secure a good spot for ogling David. I'm not above ogling. Anyhow, we had to wait a bit and suffer through enjoy a few opening acts first - young kids break dancing and doing some hip hop stuff. Then a local girl, Cherelle Jardin, took the stage...she's sort of a bluesy-rock and roll gal who does all the local events here and is making a bit of a name for herself. She was quite good, but no David Usher.

David was late and we really thought this might cut into his performance time. In all honesty, I'd expected a few obligatory songs to say he participated. Boy, was I ever wrong.

Now he's been working on some new stuff and hasn't performed in awhile and, apparently, he was very enthusiastic about getting back on stage. He expressed this and it was obvious that he was really enjoying himself. He did a full set (including some old Moist stuff) and didn't seem like he wanted to leave. He smiled as he tore up the stage, jumping and dancing all over like a banshee. At one point he came out to the audience, climbed on the fence that was holding us crazy ladies back and held on to the hands of a lucky few who held him steady as he did an entire song perched up amongst us. It was awesome!

Anyhow, they were signalling to him that time was up when he said, "aw, can I do one more?" and proceeded to do 3. And then came back for a two song encore after that.

It was a beautiful thing. My fingers were so frozen that I couldn't click the shutter on my camera and had to use my thumb. I got God awful video that is pure distortion as I was right in front of the speakers. Oh well, I tried. The highlight for me was when he did "My Way Out" (an oldie) and then "Crazy" (Gnarls Barkley). My video's terrible, so here's another that I found on YouTube (although I must say he went much crazier at our show).

I definitely left there feeling the love. I can hardly wait until he's back this way again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I missed a pill - tooth hurts again.

Cute girls in front? You always seem to have decent seats. I only see groups from the nosebleed sections.

Have a great week as I watch the Grammys in a house that's freezing because I hate high gas bills.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

I'm so glad you got to see him. Sounds like one heck of a performance. I saw him in Montreal this past summer but believe me he did not play a full set. He played a free concert on a major city street there and it was so congested and I was thrilled to be there but quite frankly I could not see a thing!

11:00 PM  
Blogger TK Kerouac said...

He's so cool!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

busterp....Ow, sorry about the tooth. Of course mine's been behaving since yesterday and now I have a dentist appointment this morning and I'm scared to let them touch me. Lots of cute girls in front...unfortunately, most of them were 12 and screaming.

Ha, that's funny...my kids are always grumbling because I have the heat down so low. Damn, forgot to watch the Grammy's.

tc...I'll teach you the elbows out technique and how to get in close ;)

Actually, we went so early I thought I'd freeze and die before he got on stage.

tk..he is!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Never heard of your David till just now... must say he does have a funky choice of clothes (shiny black shirt outfit thang...)... that tune on the youtube clip very familiar sounding I like!

;->...

9:28 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

hey I hope you don't mind my borrowing that for my video music blog... as I said there either it's just a fantastically brilliant tune or else it's been spinning round my head kind of subliminally for the past year and a half... know the feeling? when something's that good you CANNOT TELL whether you knew it from before?

9:33 AM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Push just a little too late
Is this what you want? what you need?
Is this what you wanted me to be?
Always loved me strapped to you
Lock it down and drive me through
Push just a little too late
I wanted more than this
I expected more than this

12:01 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

he gets better every time...

SURE I know that tune from somewhere... but quite where i don't know... like music from a dream... and Piper at the Gates of Dawn... highly evocative stuff... it presses my innerost tunesely buttons

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Cooper Bentley said...

Great reead thankyou

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home