Monday, March 10, 2008

Oh Dear

Not much to be said for this.

I was going to choose an unflattering picture to accompany this post, but I made the decision not to, based on the sadness that I feel when I see someone this out of control. It seems that often people want the dirt and the ugly and that's it. Maybe we feel better about our own lives when we see others go down the tubes? But, beyond every headline there's a troubled soul who does this type of stuff...a human being with serious problems. As the sister of a recovering drug addict (2 year cake next month), I understand the pain behind something like this...it's a tragedy, much more than it is entertainment news. That there is usually a desperate family somewhere that's deeply troubled and that the person in the headlines is not right at the moment and needs help much more than attention.

Sure, there is plenty of treatment available (duh, didn't she just get out?), but it's often a long process and doesn't happen overnight. And, quite honestly, it only works when the person in question "wants" it, not a decision that is forced upon them.

I hope she finds inner peace and the road to recovery before it's too late.

7 Comments:

Blogger Whitenoise said...

Yeah, sad. Hate to say it, but I don't see her getting well anytime soon.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

snorting vodka?... the mere thought makes me shudder with horror... must feel like drowning in alcohol ugh

i got upset (but couldn't be bothered to email the author) by a column in the paper railing against celebrities like Amy Winehouse and Pete Doherty flaunting their drug addictions in front of vulnerable kids

they DON'T flaunt them! they use the drugs and get set up by friends or friends who contact journalists who use the latest mininaturized equipment to capture the dirty deed on video...

Amy Winehouse's husband is in jail prior to trial for attempting allegedly to "influence" (well at least with money and not threats!) a witness in a forthcoming trial where the same husband is accused of grievously bodily harming or wounding some person in some brawl or other... her life does appear to be chaotic.

I hope your brother stays OK!

Take care Debs

;->...

5:34 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Ouch, my sinuses just exploded at the thought.

You have to admit that Amy is pretty funny at times, in amongst all the other shit. Like hurling a cat at her hubby, you can't make that stuff up.

11:02 AM  
Blogger jim dandy said...

It's the self destructing Janis syndrome all over again. Sad.

6:13 AM  
Blogger adriel said...

that would so hurt. I hope shes back on the right track soon. (:

4:14 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

w/n...somehow, me either.

gled...I know, I shudder to think of that too. I mean that's just going one step beyond what is imagineable.

Thanks re my brother...as you know, it's never a given and we take it one day at a time.

Barb...hadn't heard the cat thing before. Now that girls got some fire!

jim dandy...yes, it's reminiscent of that, isn't it?

adriel...it WOULD hurt...I imagine it burns. Good to "see" you. :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Phaedra said...

Very sad. What is even more sad is the number of people who suffer like this daily. I too, like you, have encountered addiction in the family. I lost my father to addiction. I myself was in rehab 3 years ago, and I am still working at it. It is a life long process for the best of us, trying to undo the coping device that no longer works for us. I know how difficult the journey can be, I could not imagine going through it in the public eye.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home