Friday, March 14, 2008

Telemarketers are annoying at the best of times, but when they're rude and pushy I honestly think they should be made into coats and given out to homeless people.

The other night after work I was feeling like crap and drifting off to sleep on the couch. I NEVER do that and am usually burning the candles until 1 or 2 am, but my body was screaming at me to shut down early. So I'd decided to watch TV and take it easy for the night. At 7:45 or so the phone rang and when I got up to answer it an unfamiliar male voice was on the other end: "hello, is this Debbie *****?". I always insist that strangers identify themselves before I'll continue talking to them, so I did so. The young man said he was calling on behalf of Shaw Cable, to which I interupted and said, "I'm sorry, I'm not interested tonight". I'd no sooner made my way back to my happy place on the couch when the phone rang again. It was dude again, and he'd now taken a somewhat nasty tone..."uh, look lady. You pay us money each month, right? ". Again, I interupted the little shit, in a not so nice way..."look, I don't care what this is about, it's past business hours and you're disturbing me". He then, rather gruffly, mumbled something about working in the area and possibly disrupting service and then hung up on me.

Now it was on.

I did *69 to retrieve the last number that had called and got an 800 number. I popped off an email to Shaw, telling them how I felt about their representative's behavior and then I went back to lala land.

The next day a Shaw rep called me to say that the number I'd given him was not connected to Shaw and that they'd never call in the evening to say they'd be in the area. So that one's a mystery and I started to wonder if maybe the guy who's suing Dad was somehow going to try and get info out of me. (I know, I have a very vivid imagination).

But maybe he's caught wind of my digging around in his business, as he's abruptly changed his Facebook page and I no longer can access it. They do have that application that lets you see who's been viewing your page the most and I'm sure that I'd be the number one hit on his. So maybe he's turning into a super sleuth too? For the life of me, I can't figure out what else this call could be all about.

Anyhow, it's a little strange and now this has tweaked my curiousity and I'd really like to know who this eager young beaver is. So I can make a coat out of him.

8 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Wow, sounds like the game is on. Keep us posted on whether it was actually him. This is starting to read like a novel.

8:19 PM  
Blogger junky said...

It was me Deb and you have hurt my feelings now. :)

10:58 PM  
Blogger jim dandy said...

It was the Avocado thief. He wants your sour cream!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

I know "star sixty-nine"... that's 1471 in our language... What a mysterious call... hey if this continues I'd advise going to a spy shop and getting a phone recording mike ("official" phone recording equipment interrupts with a regular offputting BLEEP!... this doesn't it just records the conversation to tape/mp3/whatever... if you can record the calls and keep quiet about the fact you might glean evidence that turns out more valuable in future than the present would ever promise...)

I won't go on about your personal interpeople issues as they're for people like SHAW to dig his own grave. I'm sure he will, Debs, I really am.

Telemarketeers: I used to be a "teleales team leader" (last but one job)... plus I was fortunate: we were selling something pretty worthwhile: subscriptions to the local paper. Double glazing/kitchens/bathrooms/home/garden improvements I cannot imagine..!

In this country if you get a call like that you have every right to demand 1. the name of the company and the person calling and a contact number (ever notice how keen they are to ring YOU and yet their own number strangely withheld..??)... this in itself often prompts them to hang-up...

you can (and I would) demand to be taken OFF their database

and if they DO ever call back they're committing a criminal offence in this country and can be fined etc etc

you also know I'm pretty sure how some companies direct staff to keep prattling on no matter what until YOU hang up on THEM... which means if in a mischievous mood put 'em on speakerphone on low (to get a grasp of what rubbish is coming out...) and keep the phone off the hook for half an hour or more and see what trash they're still regurgitating THEN! haha!

yeah: and as my team-member who moonlighted with double glazing used to jape: we're ALWAYS in your area!! yeah pretty typical...

10:30 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Shaw? Shaw cable...? Is there really a cable company called Shaw Cable? Doesn't SOUND real...

(ours is all that Richard Branston Pickle's Virgin group now hmmm)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Post pics when you get the coat made...I need a design for my exboyfriend.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

ps your talk of those annoying telemarketeers reminded me... our high streets are FULL of young people (getting PAID though they don't always like to admit this) to glean names and addresses (it used to be bank details but nobody wanna give these any more)... they ACCOST you... I mean people say beggars are annoying... these are literally 100 times worse and I speak as an ex beggar (though I only did the accosting thing once when really desperate I used to sit down and let people drop money as they passed)... I was wondering if this phenomenon has hit your part of the world. If it has you have my sympathy it's so annoying!

ps did you know any of those radio stations I posted up from Vancouver?

9:20 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Barb...it's probably my over active imagination working in paranoia mode. But it was weird.

junky...no, this person had no brains and a big mouth. It wasn't you.

jd...haha...nice.

gled...I also did a form of telemarketing for a time...it was to collect used items for a charitable organization (so I didn't have too much guilt). But I never did the hours that were required of me..I woudn't call past 7 in the evenings or before 11. So it didn't work out so well.

robin...oh dear. Yes, I think I could accommodate you in that. ;)

gled...I didn't see any mention of Vancouver radio stations...I'll come over and take a peek.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home