Tuesday, June 08, 2010


I had to fire someone yesterday...that did not feel good.

I read her FB status later in the evening, which stated that it "was the worst fucking day of her life".

So then I really did not feel good.

I felt that we should've given her a chance...explained why she was not meeting expectations and seen if an improvement was made. We had a meeting last week to discuss "her" and that was my recommendation. Then she didn't show up for work yesterday. Brilliant. Done deal as far as my boss was concerned. I did it via telephone - pretty uncool in my opinion. The Employment Standards Act likely thinks so too.

Ah well, life goes on.

Today her FB status read" "best day of my life - sun is shining and Tom Petty tonight".

I guess she's over it. So I can be too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gledwood said...

Bloody hell! Well you did what you had to do...

2:40 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I know, gleds. But, as a people pleasing people lover, it was difficult for me. Not in the sense that I fumbled around, trying to do it...just in that it stayed with me afterward.

Ah well, she's young and won't have any problems finding something else.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

It sounds like she has bounced right back from this, so I wouldn't let it worry you any more. But yeah, firing people is never fun. I've only had to do it once, and the person I fired kept leaving me letters and emails for months afterward. But then, she was crazy.

Glad to hear that your job is going so well! Other than the firing people part, of course.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Ooooh, Barb. Hope this one isn't nutso. Although, been there/done that (the ex used to negotiate big contracts and during a nightshift stint while he was away, I got a lovely "I'm going to burn your fucking house down" call. Oh joy.

:)

10:15 PM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Good to see you back, Deb. Also happy to hear that you have a "new" job and that it's going well, (well, except for the firing part...)

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home