Friday, January 26, 2007

Poker Face

So it's an absolutely gorgeous morning here already...the kind that reminds me of why I stay in this city. And I really want to get out on my bike but I have to go to the fucking laundromat. You can tell how thrilled I am about that. Hhhhmm, let's see here - fresh air, exercise, glorious views while I clear my mind of shit or a dark, stuffy, overcrowded sweat shop of a facility with people's skidmarked underwear as my only entertainment. Oh well, such is life.

I'm really tired because I couldn't get to sleep so I played online poker. My Mom was an excellent poker player and she played her entire life - she had a bank account of her winnings. She taught Gino Odjick (ex enforcer on the Vancouver Canucks) how to play years ago and she sat all night playing (blackjack, not poker) with Sammy Davis Jr. She was good.

And I'm kind of following in her footsteps, carrying the torch so to say. I play online though and, as of yet, haven't had to invest any of my own money - just in the initial deposit to get me going. I play mostly freerolls, which are tourneys that don't cost anything....and I've won a few. But, since the Americans can no longer play for money online, the site's changed and it sucks. The only consolation is that instead of 4+ hour tourneys with close to 1,000 people in them, now they average about 300 entrants and take 2-3 hours. Now when I win I get a "ticket" up to the next level and eventually the tourney's start paying. But I have to work hard to get there. I'm in a $1,000 one in March that I had to win four stages to get to. I was in one last month...nothing but bad beats. My mind wasn't there anyhow. But normally winning in those four stages would've meant a cheque in the mail already. Not for much, but it adds up. My fantasy is to play in the WPT - honestly, I'm working to get there one day. For today, my win meant I move up to stage 2 in this one and get no coin. But I have fun doing it - guess that's what it's all about. Later.



This little shithead, #6 - ArrogantKid, annoyed the hell out of me all night. One of the things I really like about poker is the banter back and forth/social aspect and I had to make quick work out of this guy because he was stressing me out. I knocked him out on this hand. ;)

5 Comments:

Blogger Gledwood said...

One thing I don't understand about online poker: isn't half of the game in reading people's "poker face"?? Or am I getting it wrong? The version you mentioned is that the one with the turn card and the river, all that stuff?

4:34 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

it is. which is the part i don't like. also, people don't play as they would at a "real" game. but you learn how to play the online way over time. you read player's patterns of play vs their expressions. it's kind of a different thing.

6:31 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Good for you for showing the annoying kid who's boss. It sounds like fun, even though I've never played

8:29 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Fixed his wagon, didn't I Mel?

10:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ha. You're like me. I take screen shots of my football pools.

At one time a couple of weeks ago, I was something like 88th out of 132,000 people and moving up.

Too much fun.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home