Wednesday, May 23, 2007

(This pic is from Flickr and is not hers.)

Linds survived VFest and we'll post pics at some point. To see a video of your daughter crowd surfing only to be dropped and come home battered and bruised is a little unnerving, to say the least. Yet she loved every minute of it. She was interviewed by Tim at Much Music and hung out with him for awhile...this was a highlight for her.

We picked her up and, I must say, the crowd control was very well handled and there were no problems, despite some of the revved up, half baked attendees. An impressive police/security presence for sure.

In other news, I got word that Linds's computer is worse than expected and the motherboard is fried, as well as the power supply. I was relieved to learn that I didn't cause this - that the capacitors were crap and that created the problem. So my bill will be slightly (3X) higher than expected. Such is life.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I'm starting to get nervous about the "flood" watch along the Fraser....of course many are talking out of both sides of their mouths on this. Mayor Malcolm here says "don't worry, you'll be fine" and reassures us that the recent dyke upgrades are sufficient, at the same time, however, he throws in a "don't forget to read your emergency preparedness manuals". The Red Cross has set up a Flood Centre and, at the moment, are instructing people on how to prepare. But the plan is that, should there be major flooding, it will turn into a disaster relief centre or something of that nature.

It appears to me that we have prepared better than some other areas - I've noticed the dredgers out in the river for some time now. And they have beefed up the dykes - apparently just not quite high enough as they should be a meter higher. It is quite unsettling...I'm praying for a good mix in the weather which will help a slower melt in the snowpack. Those cloudy/rainy/cooler days will be welcomed instead of cursed at.

Well, that's all for now folks...off to work. It's a fairly big jackpot, which means another shift of insanity...people come out of the woodwork when they hear there's $25 million up for grabs. Pfft...wouldn't be enough for my bills right now - have you seen the price of gas lately?


Anyhow, hope you all have a great day.

9 Comments:

Blogger tkkerouac said...

Gas is outrageous here also
last week I could fill up my tank for $35, now its $55
What gives??

9:19 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Here's hoping for a long slow melt with no additional rain. I hope you'll be safe from floods.

Yup $75 to fill the tank these days. SUre wish I lived closer to work.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Toccata said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and hoping the weather doesn't warm too much too fast and that the flood will not crest as high as expected. Well, at least they already have the army in place if need be.

In times of these high gas prices being carless certainly does have its perks!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

glad she had fun and is safe, my son scared the crap out of me the first time i saw him surf the crowd, he lost his shoe

6:30 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Im glad Linds had such a great time. I cant even imagine how nerve wracking that was for you. I hope you stay flood free too Deb! yikes Im glad I dont drive

8:27 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I'm driving a little less because of it tk...bloody ridiculous.

Barb...the ideal situation would be 4 days of sun, 4 of rain/cooler temperatures. Can you arrange that for me please?

tc...they have the army in place and Red Cross centers set up, yet they say "don't worry, we're fine". The mixed messages are what scare me.

eddie...he lost a shoe?! Pretty intense stuff. Linds is a teeny little 100 pounder and gets right in there and moshes with the 200 pound guys (I saw the video)...scares the hell out of me.

mel...this flood business is worrying the hell out of me. Reading things like "evacuation" and "how to contact your family". Luckily, I'm two minutes away from home and could come and get the kids so we'd all be together. Too scary though.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

(I think my theme of the day is "scares the hell out of me")

9:25 AM  
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Great place to come. I enjoyed it. I will surly be back11

10:46 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

thanks Mike...glad you dropped by. Hope you do come again - we've got a nice group of people around here!

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home