Monday, June 25, 2007

Ty used to really be into wrestling when he was young - namely, The WWF. He used to watch every Monday night RAW and we ordered every single PPV - it was his "thing" (along with hockey, of course). We even took in a couple of live events and one of our biggest thrills was meeting our hero, Bret (The Hitman) Hart. We had the PPV on when his younger brother, Owen, was killed while attempting to propel from the ceiling of the arena in a grandiose entrance. It was tragic and we felt sick as we questioned whether it was real or just part of the storyline. It turned out to be very real and that stuck with us for a long time.

Ty always knew that wrestling was "fake", but there's an element of athleticism/danger in it that can't be denied and makes it quite entertaining. You can't pull off some of the maneuvers that they do without being agile and in top condition. That being said, they completely went over the top with some of the story lines and it became a very bad soap opera, causing Ty to eventually lose interest as he "matured". It's been a few years since he's had any interest in it.

Tonight he came down and said "wow, did you hear the news?" and directed me to this story. We always liked Chris Benoit because he was one of our Canadian boys who made it in the WWF. So this, too, made us sit down and shake our heads in disbelief. Our thoughts go out to the family at the devastating news. So sad.

* * * * * * * * *

In lighter news, there's a new show airing soon that looks like it could be a lot of fun.The Singing Bee has contestants attempting to sing the correct lyrics to hit songs. Basically it'll be another extension of "misheard lyrics" as bad singers make up words to songs as they go along. Where do I sign up?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Hmmm, another spin off of American Idol. I can only take so much of this stuff

9:20 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I know...it's overkill lately, isn't it?

I do think it will be amusing though to hear the lyrics that people come up with, as I know I tend to get many wrong myself. When under pressure I'm sure some will completely mess us.

9:26 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Holy crap! I don't have TV (since late last week, Shaw cut off my free cable, the bastards) so I hadn't heard about Chris Benoit. I had always thought the Rabid Wolverine was one of the "sort of normal" wrestlers. So sad. I read a few of the news articles, and it's so shocking how they think it went down :O( I knew there was a reason I didn't watch it anymore (soap opera indeed!) How many guys are still left from Stampede wrestling?

2:03 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Oh reality tv. I just turned on the tv for the first time in weeks tonight, and then turned it off again, nothing on really.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

That news about Benoit today was just so sad and depressing. Looks like they might do an inquiry into the role that steroids might have played in the tragedy.

As far reality t.v. goes I am just sick of it. Enough already. I want some good mysteries.

p.s. check your email

10:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Deb, you and I should do a duet on that show. Do we get a prize for the most ridiculous lyrical interpretation?

8:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I never followed wrestling much but I did like the Hart bro's. I remember that accident too.

Creepy how this murder played out. She was killed Fri? and the son was there and not killed till Sat or early Sun?

Roid rage.

(I'm terrible with lyrics) Ha.

8:35 AM  
Blogger tkkerouac said...

When I clicked on the wrestling story, nothing there
I did catch a bit of it on the news though,
something about steroids affecting his mind!
Great post!

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home