Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Is This All There Is?

I spent my entire DAY OFF running around, doing and getting stuff for others. Sucker, that's what I am. Oh well, can't complain - I bring most of it on myself. I got some new wheels put on Ty's rollerblades after I talked him out of getting the $90 ones he was set to buy yesterday....I said I could find some for less. He responded, as any smart person would, by saying "o.k., you do it then". D'oh. I did manage to find some that were pretty much half the price of the ones he'd scoped out and, although they didn't include bearings, it turned out he didn't need them anyhow. These are his old wheels. At this point I don't think you can call them wheels anymore...doorstops maybe, but not wheels.

After the skate shop I hit the local farm market and, unlike most normal people who buy a bag or two, I bought a whole box of produce.
This picture doesn't do it justice as it's after I'd emptied half of it (we demolished the strawberries before they even hit the fridge). We're so spoiled here - an abundance of farm fresh local stuff all over the place. I especially love this time of year with the strawberries, little "nugget" new potatoes and English peas straight off the vine...there's so much variety.

After that pit stop I had to shop for "the guys" - Father's Day on the weekend and Brandon (my nephew) turns 13 tomorrow. What the hell do you buy a 13 year old boy who has everything? No, I don't have enough for an Iphone or a hummer. Anyhow, he's just started golfing so I picked up some do-dads for that and will stick some cash in a card. What 13 year old doesn't love to get $$, right?

I went to get golf balls that were on sale at Canadian Tire and, as is usually the case, they had none that were advertised. I'm starting to question the whole advertising something for half price that's never in stock...isn't that called false advertising?

"This week we have gold & diamonds for six bucks...hurry in they won't last".

That's because they're make believe and you don't even have them...you just want people in your store and you think we're dummies. We're not...we're onto you.

The last time they had these particular golf balls on sale it was the same deal - none to be found. No trace of them and I was doubting that they even existed. So this time I insisted that they give me a raincheck for when (if) they ever did arrive. Suddenly one of the employees "remembered" that she'd stashed some on the top shelf behind some other stuff. She got a ladder and went up to find them and lo & behold, 6 boxes conveniently tucked away (for her friends and family). This happened once before when they had limited edition signed NHL prints...I was there an hour before the sale started and they sold out in 12 seconds as the employees grabbed them by the handful. They were gone by 9:58 - the sale was to start at 10. People showed up at 10 to find that they were too late and out of luck. That time I managed to get what I'd wanted, but only because I'd preplanned and showed up early...I still had to fight like a hungry dog to get my hands on one. Shopping's become a dangerous sport - it's rough out there and somebody could get hurt. Most likely by me.

I'd only intended on getting one pack of golf balls but, as you can see I changed my mind. "Screw her" I thought, about the employee who'd been hording her balls and when she asked how many I'd like at first I said one, then quickly changed it to "I mean FOUR". Gotta' get my piece of the pie. I guess it was nice of her to share her stash with me - I just don't think it's really cool that the employees do that - kinda makes it unfair for the customers. Oh, who the hell am I kidding...I'd do the same thing.

Now I'm wondering if I need therapy....four cases of golf balls. A big box of produce. And then I went and bought my 80,000 pack of rice crackers. If there's ever a huge catastrophe come to me friends, I've got supplies. I should just get another Costco membership and give in to my feelings. Bigger, better, MORE.....I think there's a name for this. What's that?..............."CRAZY?" Yep, I think you may be right.

Anyhow, that pretty much sums up my restful day off...ran around from 11 until 4. I did other stuff too, but it's all pretty boring and I just filled you in on the really exciting stuff. Aren't you glad you came?

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger mellowlee said...

Whew! All that shoppin made me tiredy! :O)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

mel...I know. Now I need a few hundred rice crackers to get my energy back. :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Seriously, reading that made me tired and I just had a nap. Hope you were able to enjoy some of the day for yourself.

Thanks for the reminder its father's day, I need to write these things down. My dad's getting a pet rock, I've decided. I'm re-celebrating my 5th year of existence by re-gifting.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Al...a regifted pet rock - I love it! This is how things go down around here...

"what do you need/want Dad"

and then he tells me and I go get it. It's the only way because if I get creative and buy something off the list it usually goes back.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Canadian Tire gift cards. Can't go wrong.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Your days off sound suspiciously like mine, Deb. Do you find you are more exhausted after a day off than if you had been at work all day? I know I am.

What are English peas anyway?

For father's day, I am getting Jer a t-shirt or something lame. But THEN, I am cleaning his shower stall. This is a BIG deal because I will need to put on the hazmat suit for this. I am rather afraid.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

w/n....you make a good point. Next time, that'll be the plan for sure.

Barb...I feel so exhausted and am always commenting that I need to go to work for a break.

Now - re the peas....the sign above them always says "English Peas", but they're just regular old peas as far as I'm concerned. I guess it makes them sound more sophisticated.

You are a brave woman entering a man's shower stall. I do hope you return. :)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Ok, how did you even make it through this day?? Where did you get all that time and can you lend me some?

9:21 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Oh! I thought that picture at the top was an exhausted silicone breast ... not a rollerskate wheel.

Debs I nominated you for the Thinking Blogger Award!!

If you come to mine the link is there to click on.

Also there is a little visual you can post up only I don't know how to do it (typical) ...

4:21 PM  
Blogger Squamer said...

wow, i completely forgot that it was father's day. How unlucky. I almost forgot about a trip through the downtown traffic to Wal-Mart. Damn. Sure couldn't have done without that trip. Thanks for the reminder deb.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

thought on your day off your supose to rest, my days off are the same way someone always gets stuck in the mall parking lot..

7:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your veggies and fruit looked good.

I've been buying melons (water and musk), grapes, and strawberries for lunch treats. This is the time of year I actually eat healthy.

9:43 AM  
Blogger junky said...

I spent a good portion of the day doing crap for other people, I really don't mind, but there is a point where you want too just spoil the hell out of yourself.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

mike...I'm so used to it. I don't function unless I'm multi tasking.

gleds...I can see how you thought that about the wheel. Nope, none of those around here. And thanks for the nomination...I'll check it out later!

N/P squamer. Yep, Walmart looking for hours for God knows what that Dad will take back or complain about. Yeeha, party time.

eddie...hey, I'm always getting stuck in my car (knock on wood though, not for months now). One time it was in the tunnel, which was terrifying.
Maybe I'll call you up next time?

busterp...I've never heard of musk...what is that? I tend to eat much healthier in the summer too - so much good stuff around.

junky...I actually thought of you after I posted this and felt bad at how you'd feel if you read it. Hope you're o.k. Sunday...I'll be thinking about ya. I had some mini aeros to send you but tk never got back to me with your address, so I had to eat them.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Just wanted to say quickly bc my time rapidly running out - my thoughts are with you next week & my prayers and take care (no huge great deal I know but ... well you know what I mean medical things are horrible. Being prodded and poked and bits scratched outta you //etc. You know ...)

Take it e.z.!

g
xx

7:44 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks gled...hold down the fort for me. ;)

12:31 PM  
Blogger Paul Champagne said...

It is amazing that she shared her stash with you. Here in the States the most dangerous shopping day is the day after Thanksgiving. Everyone has huge sales with the doors opening at 5 AM and crazy sale prices like 25" TV's for $99 or a DVD player for $14.99. When those doors open, hundreds of people rush into the store to get these "limited availability" items ... and the Christmas Season begins. It's a wonder no one has been trampled to death.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

it's insanity, isn't it Paul? Not long ago, I was one of those crazies. Now I'd rather pay the extra bucks and keep all of my toes.

8:34 PM  
Blogger junky said...

damn it I didn't even know they made mini aeros, email me from about/bio page or what ever the hell they call it.
Thanks for thinking of me, I'm riding out first thing to see dad, then I need to spend the rest of the day avoiding a bottle of something.

by the looks of your last FM playlist your bummed, I only break that album out when bummed. So if you are cheer up. It's just like my dad always said "always drink whiskey instead of vodka, so they know your drunk and not just stupid".

10:03 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

junky...damn you're good. Yep, been a little down...the wave of sadness is washing over me now.

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and it's probably not the best idea to cave to the bottle of somethin'...I resisted the urge to do so on Mother's Day. I love that saying of your Dad's - I'll be stealing that one.

I'll email you...I tried to get your address from tracey when your Dad died, but she "forgot" to get back to me. Don't blame her...not her info to give really.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe it didn't read right: muskmelon (and watermelon).

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home