Sunday, July 29, 2007

Boy, have I really been away that long? Geez, time flies. I've been galavanting all around town and having quite a nice time while doing so. Usually Ty goes away with Linds and K but this year he gave it a miss. And normally when they're gone I got a lot accomplished around here...this year I decided I'M on vacation and am going to have fun and spend quality time with Ty. So that's what I'm doing.Stocked up on fresh fruit/veggies at the stand up the road....every time I do I think of how very lucky I am that I have local, farm fresh produce 5 minutes away. I love this place.

I went down to the thrift store yesterday - it was Mom's favorite place and I've avoided going back without her. We had a real routine when we were there. I had a quick look around, found a bunch of cassettes (for the car) and then decided I didn't need them because I already had them all. Had considered buying them anyhow (at .50 each) to have "back up" for when the deck eats them. But I'm trying to get rid of junk, not pack more in, so I put them back. 4 Non Blondes, Alice In Chains, etc. Now I wish I'd bought them.

I was about to leave when something caught my eye...a beautiful huge vase for flowers. I smiled as I thought of Mom - she and I had been desperately looking for one at every thrift store/garage sale we'd been to in the past year or two. I'd heard the story at least a dozen times of WHY she needed one...Dad had put theirs outside and it froze/cracked in the winter. He'd never live that one down. She'd wanted another one for the calla lillies that he'd pick from the garden and bring to her, but we'd never managed to find one (bought a whole shitload of crap looking for one mind you). Now I'd found the perfect one and she wasn't here to see it. I bought it, "for her". I took it to Dad's and was going to leave it there for him, but he insisted I have it. So I will treasure it (pics will come later). The kicker...it was marked $5 (a steal - I'd have paid $25) and when I went up to pay for it she rang it through at $2.50. I corrected her mistake, to which she replied, "oh no, today's half price day". Score.

Well Ty and I are off to the track AGAIN. We normally make it 4-5 times a season, this year we've already been about 8 times. We're making the most of it while Lindsay's away - she hates it there. And when the PNE starts it's chaos, so we avoid it then.

Well friends, summer means limited posting and more "visiting" of your blogs. So I'll be back, just don't know when. Have a great Sunday.

6 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

It's a little bitersweet that you found your mom's vase now, isn't it? I hope that you can get a lot of joy from it on her behalf and that it will always remind you of the times you had poking around thrift stores with her.

I am jealous of your fruit/veggies. Yet another thing I miss about Ontario.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Barb...it is bittersweet and I'll treasure it, knowing Mom would've loved it.

The produce here is excellent - we're completely spoiled.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

half price ... nice one!

2:55 PM  
Blogger junky said...

Bittersweet yes, but let's address the real issue. YOU STILL HAVE A CASSETTE PLAYER IN THE CAR!!!
my truck is a 68' and has CD and an iPod attachment. Don't make me come up there young lady. :)

10:15 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

gled...$2.50 was a steal. I lucked out with that one.

junky...I know, I know. Guess what? When I work out I still use my "Sony Walkman" too...it's also cassettes. I have an Mp3 player and have never used it. I'm planning on a new car in the future, so I'm sure at that point I'll be jumping into this decade.

11:21 PM  
Blogger MyDirtyLaundry said...

My friend told me that once when she stopped at a road stand, the guy was rinsing off what appeared to be vomit on his cherries. I've been a bit iffy about them ever since.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home